Need help understanding Onkyo HT-S770 hook ups

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaveMcFar, Jan 10, 2005.

1. DaveMcFar

DaveMcFar Extra

OK I just ordered the Onkyo S770 and downloaded the owner's manual to help in making my decision to buy it and in hooking it up when it arrives. I know several people have talked about having this HTIB so hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Here's what I plan on doing for Video I am going to use S-Video cables to connect everything.

As for the Audio this is where I am having problems. According to the Onkyo owner's manual from the Audio section it says this for RCA connections

"This cable carries analog audio. It's the most common connection format for analog audio and can be found on virtually all AV components."

It doesn't say anything about surround sound like the section for optical and coaxial connections do. So does that mean I can't have surround sound using RCA connections (I don't see how this could be) or will the sound just not be as good using RCA.

My TV only has RCA audio connections and doesn't have Optical or coaxial connections. I plan on buying a new DVD player so that isn't a problem. But if I understand the manual right you have to connect all the audio the same way so if I used RCA for one thing I have to use RCA for all audio connections. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

One last thing I know several people have mentioned to upgrade the speaker wire provided with the system and I plan on doing so. But what about the cable provided for connecting the subwoofer? I assume this cable is cheap also, So what should I look for as far as a new subwoofer cable?

thanks in advance for your help

DaveMcFar

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

"But if I understand the manual right you have to connect all the audio the same way so if I used RCA for one thing I have to use RCA for all audio connections. Correct me if I am wrong on this."

No, you can connect the DVD player with a digital connection and the TV with an analog connection.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Upgrade that as well. The one supplied, if it's anything like the one that came with my Onkyo HT-500, needs to be replaced also. You can pick up a decent one from Philips, RCA, AR, etc. for around $20 or less. Maybe the same brand as your s-video cables? Have fun.