Need help understanding DVD-Audio please.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Halen, May 29, 2003.

1. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

I currently bought a 6.1 Axiom Speaker setup. I'm waiting on a HK 525 reciever to come in. I have a simple, yet aging Sony DVD-player I'm planning on using but I would really like to upgrade to something that will play DVD-Audio as well. I'm just confused about the "bass management", among other things. Here is how I believe DVD-audio would work...

1- Is all DVD-audio multichannel, meaning 5.1?

2- I assume no decoder is needed in the Receiver since the DVD player sends out the signal in analog. Or can the receiver accept and decode digital, DVD-audio information?

3- Some players don't have bass management, like the Toshiba 4800. It is set to play assuming you have large front speakers, so it sends no info to the subwoofer. But if I'm right and all DVD-audio is 5.1, doesn't it have too have a seprate line for the sub? (On a small side note, I don't know why a MAJOR company could be ignorant enough to manufacture a DVD/DVD-Audio player that is permanantly set to play on "large" speakers, when they know that it will more likely be used in a hometheater system...most of which consist of small satellite speakers!!! Especialy in this price range!!! Maybe it their way of making us feel smart at their expense...ok, ok, that's my rant).

4- Last one...promise...I owned the Toshiba 4800 for about 2 weeks and had to return it becasue it stopped sending video signal. I usually am not one to exchange a defective item. Once I'm let down by a brand I lose a ton of confidence in them. So I'm looking for another DVD/DVD-Audio player (is there some acronym for this? if not can we make one up? Like maybe DIP, for "Digital Information Player"? You know something that can play all sorts of stuff like the 4800? Don't yall like the sound of that, "I bought an awesome DIP yesterday!" I mean this forum alone could help end the devastation that is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!!)...so i was saying I was looking for another DIP (see,it works huh?), but I can't find one in this price range...can you guys recomend one for around 250, or should I give Toshiba the benefit of the doubt? Also, is there one in the price range that does have bass management?

Thanks for the help guys! It'll be much appreciated!! I promise anything I learn I'll pass on like you guys do...like a good A/V-jedi would!

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Nice speakers! I'll try and answer your questions as best I can:

1) No, there are many 2.0 DVD-A titles.

2) No special decoder is needed, but there are certain players that can send the signal out digitally through a proprietary connection (so pirates can't copy it) directly to the receiver. There may be a couple of "demo" discs that can pass the 192khz/24-bit signal to the receiver, but I think the same spec DACs are required.

3) So that player is technically a 5.0 multi-channel player? That's a horrible decision on Toshiba's part if that's the case.

4) Wish I could help here, hope other members chime in...

3. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Scott. The speakers are amazing, but I have yet to hear my own. I'm repainting my living room and waiting for the reciever to come in. I also need to devise a celing bracket that'll hold up an Axiom center surround speaker, with them having the woofers on top and bottom of the speaker, it has to be a custom job.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm using as reference as I look for a new player.

Dave!

4. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

currently bought a 6.1 Axiom Speaker setup. I'm waiting on a HK 525 reciever to come in. I have a simple, yet aging Sony DVD-player I'm planning on using but I would really like to upgrade to something that will play DVD-Audio as well. I'm just confused about the "bass management", among other things. Here is how I believe DVD-audio would work...

5. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Halen, the Toshiba 4800 does have bass management for DD and DTS, but not DVD-A. For DVD-A it certainly is a 5.1 format; just look at the back of the player and you will see analog outputs for all 5.1 channels, including sub.

6. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve. Your in-depth input has cleared up my confusion on this matter to the point that it's almost non-existent!

It's clear to me now that until units that can handle BM in DVD-A correctly, I will be best served listening to DVD-audio disks using DD or DTS. Though I'm still forced to look at a different player than the 4800 because, at least from my attempts, there is no BM even in DD or DTS. Though I'm sure my speakers can handle them to some extent, I'd rather exercise caution in case a friend decides to "crank it up" when listening to say a modern classic like "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

BTW, I suppose the word "Universal" works...I still like "DIP" better though!

Thanks again Steve!

7. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit