need help - Toshiba SD-5700 audio out selection - Bitstream or PCM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Wiffen, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

I have my SD-5700 connected to my receiver (NADT760) via: coaxial (for DVD viewing) and 2 channel audio out (for CD listening). Should I select Bitstream or PCM out? Does it matter? I've had it set to Bitstream out.
    Problem is...
    After recently watching a DVD (selecting coaxial input on my receiver), I threw in a CD (selecting CD 2-channel input on my receiver), but the audio was not directed to both speakers properly. It seems one side is almost completely muffled. I went into audio settings on the DVD player, and messed around with the Audio Out Select settings. I changed it from Bitstream to PCM. All of a sudden the muted speaker came alive, and sounded just fine. Then I changed it back to Bitstream, and it sounded fine as well. Can someone explain this to me?
    Please tell me that i'm not going to have to change these settings everytime I switch from DVD to CD playback. Or should I just leave it on one setting? Please help.
    [​IMG]

2. Jeffrey Wiffen

I noted in an earlier post that MP3 playback on the SD-5700 was horrible. Is this possibly because I don't have the DVD player set up properly?

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I had the 4700 for a short time awhile back but I can't remember the audio menu selections. My current JVC has 3:

Stream/PCM, DD/PCM, PCM.

In order to be able to listen to analog or digital without switching I choose the first setting which gives DTS, DD, PCM. Pulse Code Modulation is the digital sampling of the analog signal...primarily used for CD play.

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Jeff,

Just leave your dvd audio out settings to bitstream and set your receiver input to auto. I also believe that you don't need the analog connection between the dvd and the receiver, just let the receiver do all the work.

5. Jeffrey Wiffen