What's new

Need help to choose a subwoofer placement solution (1 Viewer)

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
I am in the process of building our new house and the main lounge area will also be used a lot to watch movies.
The think is that we have a very modern design : flat dry-wall with no cabinet, all speakers will be in-wall speakers + in-ceiling speakers for surround.
I am looking for a solution for a subwoofer.

I thought of maybe going for an in-wall sub such as http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/inwall-subwoofer, but I understand that both these sub are less effective + I have a very large open area and in any case I will need something strong so this might not be such a great solution , but it will be very expensive.

I am trying to convince my wife and the architect to build a "Nish" into the room behind which is the main bedroom suite,but having problems to convince them that this is more essential than the looks.....

In the attached picture you can see the layout:
In purple - is approx TV location
In Green - is where I am trying to convince them to build a "nish" which would stick out ~40 into the room
In Red - is a 3rd possible location.

My question is regarding the 3rd option marked in red.
This location can either be behind the door to the room, but in that case I cannot have it deeper than 35~40 cm
or a second option would be to have it above door height and in that case I can have it as deep as I want.

So 2 question:
1. How bad is the location of the sub when it is directly under the TV , centered on the wall and not in the corner?
2. How much worse would it be to have the sub located up high neat the ceiling (height would be between 2.4 - 2.9 meters)
3. how do these 2 options compare to using a 10" in-wall sub, which fits in a 10cm depth, but would be located near the corner?

Which of the 3 would you recommend I go for?
Thanks
sub_placement.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My basic suggestions. Take them or leave them, because plenty of people will always disagree. If you want the best performance, then 1) Never restrict the placement of the sub. As little as a couple inches change in position can make a significant difference. 2) Don't EVER recess a sub. They need to "breathe", because the goal is to move air throughout the room. That's not possible if it's recessed in any way. Finally, don't place it equal distance from any two surfaces. So, very close to the front wall, but a foot or so from the side or the other way around, but not "in the corner". Having said that, the absolute "the wife will divorce me" final option, if you have to recess it, I'd get a FRONT FIRING sub that is either a sealed cabinet or ported ONLY to the front, and put it in the green box option. Of course, the driver would face front, into the room.

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
I have another option at the bottom of the coats closet near the entrance to the house where the Orange marking is. I know this is a bad place, but wold it help to add a second sub there? can it be from a different make or will that make a mess of the sound?
sub_placement.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks