What's new

Need Help Thnking of a Show (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This is a bit involved, so I'll try to be brief.

My writing partner and I are getting very close to selling a TV Pilot to a production company. They've offered notes, and one of them is that our character doesn't have a "home base." The example they brought up was "The X-Files." Even though they are flying all over the country, the show usually starts in the basement office at the FBI, and ends there as well.

Our show kinda needs the character to wander without a home. Typically, if we can counter the argument with a show that does something similar, we can proceed with our ideas. Basically, we need a precedent.

We thought of "The Fugitive," "Kung Fu" and "The Incredible Hulk." But those shows are 60's and 70's. So we need a show similar to those in structure, where the main character is wandering and in a different place each week, but is both more modern (at least in the 90s) and successful (at least two seasons).

Can anyone think of a show that fits that bill?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The Pretender (from the 90's). He wandered(was chased) every episode around the country. Actually, he moved freely around the country going wherever he thought he can help.

And if you need even more recent. Supernatural. Dean & Sam (the leads) are constantly travelling the country staying in motels.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The 1997 series "The Visitor" had a lone character who had no home, and every episode simply began in that location the character was about to visit and interact with key people in whatever town/city it was. Occasionally there was an FBI base of operations, but it wasn't always featured and didn't ever really begin or establish anything there.

Quantum Leap was a similar situation, and its home base - where the lead was trying to reach wasn't seen every episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Both Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and its spin-off Xena: Warrior Princess did the "wandering do-gooder" bit for an astonishing number of seasons, and recently enough to be remembered (if only from childhood ;)) by studio and network execs.

Regards,

Joe

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sliders spent their entire time trying to get back to Home Base.

First Wave unless you consider Eddie's Van/RV a starting place.

Believe it or not, The Pretender was the first show that came to mind when I read the original post and the first reply took the glory.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was also going to suggest "Supernatural".

They have some familiar occasional meeting places (Bobby's place; the Roadhouse in S2), but they're always wandering around the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks