What's new

Need help this is getting out of my league (1 Viewer)

My business allows me to show off my home theater system on a regular basis. I have brides and grooms over ( I am a wedding disc jockey) and they view our DVD demo which then of course the groom wants to here a movie sample on the system. They always ask where I buy my goodies which leads me to this next who bought my home theater system minus the sub of course.
He bought my polk 6.1 system and had the chance to audition my svs pb12+2 which he was totally floored by. And I mean litteraly blown away by. He is looking to by a reciever and a sub but wants to find one on sale or b-stock and I am trying to lead him in the right direction, have already done so with the svs. The outlaw he was worried about it only putting out 65 watts a channel etc. etc. I only pretend to know what I am doing and thought I would ask for some advice from you guys. I told him to go with SVS for the sub as he has heard that one and as you will see in the email between he and I he has auditioned others and want impressed but I told him not to waste his time:)
Any help would be cool.
This email is in reverse order

Hi James,

U know I just had to go see that klipch 10" woofer. Just wondered what it sound like. I said to him " Is it turned up?" U were right I was disapointed!!

SVS has a pb12 plus with 550 watt bash amp B stock for $100.00 off totalling $899.00
For B stock is that the norm to slice off $100.00? Or should I wait for a better deal?? ON a plus 2??? $1,200 for the cheap finish, who knows might discount it $ 3- 400.00??????????? On B Stock...What r your thoughts.

The guy who had the Sub was into Home Audio. He rcomended a DVD called Didital Video Essentials. It came with a color thig u look through to dial in your TV color and a dvd u play...to tune in your home theater system..

He said he likes avsforums.com as a resource for info and reviews on Audio.

Oh is Harmon Kardon made in the US??

have a great week,...james

my seattle dj wrote:
If you go to the av123 site or any other for that matter check out the different line of speakers you will find the more expensive ones have a lower efficiency rating like 86 to 89 db. Outlaw is good though even at the perspective power rating. I think that if you can find a Harmon Kardon for sale that would fit the bill nicely. I will keep a look out and let me know what lengths of wire you will need. Give it to me in one length because that is how it will come. You can cut it to fit for each speaker application and add banana plugs which you can get just about anywhere unless you want me to order those also.
LaterJ

James Vaughan
Sound Waves
www.myseattledj.com
425-637-1729
253-576-6908

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:12 PM
To: zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Subject: Receiver / subwoofer

Hi , James thanks again for all the good info and speakers. Now I just have to buy a few more items and I ll be set!!!!!!!! Let me know if u find some great buys on subs and a receiver!!!!!! Ill check svs and outlaw as well. Have an excellent weekend!!!!!!!!

Note: e-mail addresses edited out by moderator - Cees Alons

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
The 65 watts per channel the Outlaw receiver puts out is with all channels driven and they are good, clean watts. I owned a 1050 and was surprised to see that it CLEARLY bested my Denon 1602 I replaced. It's really hard to beat Outlaw for the value. That being said, whether or not it's a good choice depends on what speakers you're talking about. I'm not sure you'd want to be driving 4ohm Magnepans with the thing, but your typical 6-8 ohm speaker should probably be okay.

As for the sub, just get the biggest and baddest SVS you can afford and don't look back :)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and about the b-stock pricing. I think $100 off is the typical price if there's very little or no visible damage to the sub. They are usually only marked off more than that if there are visible scratches or the finish is messed up.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Go with Avia over Digital Video Essentials. The subwoofer test tones are screwy on DVE.

Oh, and to emphasize what Seth said, I don't think I've ever seen a b-stock SVS for more than $100 (doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it). Their margins just aren't high enough to mark them down much more than that.

-Robb

Well he just orderd the SVS pb 12 plus. So he got that much done and is still looking at the recievers. I am trying to direct him towards the outlaw because it is the way I would have gone and should have but didnt.Kick myself!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
James: I don't know much about those particular Polks, but I'm confident the Outlaw would be a great choice. I've owned a lot of their stuff and it's never been anything but a solid addition to my system. I like their 950 pre/pro so much that even though I'm about to begin taking a leap into more of a high end system, I'm still going to keep it as the centerpiece. The customer service is also superior to just about anything else, with the exception of maybe SVS. Even if he goes in another direction, I hope you'll let us know how his system turns out.

Lord knows he made a good decision with the sub :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks