What's new

need help: thinking about this setup for around $1700...what u think? Axiom/3802 (1 Viewer)

Rick RTM

Grip
this is a 99% HT 1% music so u know what im going for
ok the receiver im looking at is a Denon 3802 cause i want what the denon has (7.1, PL2)...$695.00 from yahoo shopping
Speakers im looking at is this:
Axiom:
Link to the website
thinking about the factory outlet: (+free shipping)
Fronts:
Millennia M22ti
Side surround:
Millennia M3ti
Rear surround:
Quadrant Surround QS-4
Center:
Vocal Point VP100
and i will worry about a sub later
I just want good sound for DTS-ES/DD/PL2 etc...
LMK if this is a good setup
thanks
RTM

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Rick RTM,
Essentially, this is the set up that I was running for a while until I made a recent addition to my system. I was running my Axiom M50s, VP100 and M3s through the Denon 3802 and it sounded damn good for the price. So, the only difference is that you'd be running the M22s for fronts. Although I have not heard them, I've read nothing but great reviews on the M22s. Here's one of them:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/a...niam22tise.htm
Speaking from roughly 5 months of listening, you can expect plenty of detail, tight bass and excellent imaging from the Axioms. I have been extremely happy with my purchase, have had no buyer's remorse and would gladly buy Axiom again! In fact, I've got my eyes on the M80s for fronts, but don't tell my fiance...
Regards,
Ron

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron, I also have an Axiom system, consiting of the M50's for fronts, VP100 for center, and M3's for rears. Just got it a few weeks ago and am definitely loving it. I'm running it through an Onkyo TX-DS595.
From what I've heard, it might be best to go M22's all around (since you've already decided on 22's) for fronts and rears, giving the most precise imaging. I myself couldn't do this due to my room setup and had to go with the M3's which I love btw.
Either way, I'm sure you'll be blown away by the set. If I could drop a recommendation I'd check out Marc's prices at the Audio Shop (www.audioshop.on.ca) as he an Axiom directly are about the only online retailers of Axiom...plus you'll probably get them for cheaper via him.
Enjoy your system!

MarcVH

Second Unit
If you're doing 99% HT, will that mostly be from DVDs with DD/DTS?

If so, you may wish to consider the Denon 3801 instead of 3802. The main difference is that the 3802 has DPLII, but if you mostly use DD/DTS then you don't care. The 3801 has a few other differences (slightly less power) but nothing too profound, and you probably could find it considerably cheaper.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Dan_Jones,

There you are...I knew you were making "the purchase" but I never did read what you thought about the Axioms. If you've only had them a few weeks, just wait...throughout the break-in process, they'll just keep sounding better and better. I never thought mine could sound better, but then I added a stereo amp. WOW...big difference!!! Methinks the Axioms like the clean power. Anyway, I'm glad you're loving your new speakers. I know the joy they bring me, that's why I have no shame in plugging Axiom speakers!

I too have heard the same about the M22s. In fact, I believe they're Marc's (at Audioshop) favorites. Thing is, I wanted floor standers in the front. I sure would love to hear those M22s one day...

Regards,

Ron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

MarcVH,

I have read many places on this forum (but haven't compared them myself) that the 3801 has a brighter sound than the typical Denon and that the 3802 is more a kin to Denon's trademark "warm sound." Just some food for thought...

Regards,

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks