What's new

Need Help Tempest sealed sonosub (1 Viewer)

JamesJKjr

Grip
Hi Everyone
I have tried all over the web for dimensions on a sealed sonosub with Tempest driver,and can find nothing substantial.Does any one have the info that I need? I will be using for music only, that is the reason for the sealed sub.
My room size is 22'x16'x8'

Thanks in advance

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure what you mean by 'nothing substantial'. A Google search turned up the original Sealed Tempest Applications as the first hit. Pick your alignment and its basic geometry from there. If you need help with any of that then post specific questions. In the last 6 months I've built 3 sonosubs.

-Robert

JamesJKjr

Grip
Robert
Thank you for the reply,but I have found many of these apps for a box,but nothing for the sonosub.If there is anything out there for the sonosub as to the reference you sent me,that is what I need.Can you PM me some info
on the subs you have built?

Thanks again
Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't PM any technical information. That's a disservice to the home theater community here.

What information do you need? Let's pick the low Q alignment. It's a 230L enclosure. That's all you need to get started. Find some sonotube. For a 15" driver you will need 18" to 24" diameter. Let's say you found some 20" diameter sonotube. In reality it will be about 19.75" internal diameter. That means it has a radius of 9.875". We then find the area of the tube using 10th grade geometry - Pi*R^2 = 306.4 sq inches. Now we find out how many cubic inches are in 230L. 230/28.3 = 8.13 cubic feet or 14043 cubic inches. Divide 14043 cubic inches by 306.4 (remember that number from earlier?) and you get 45.84 inches. Add 1.5" to account for end caps and you get 47.3". That's how long a piece of 20" diameter tube you need. Basic high school math and geometry. If that is too much then download the sonosub calculator.

I used the Dayton DVC 12" and a pair of SVS plus drivers to build my 3 subs. The Dayton is running but still needs some paint. I have to install the end caps on the other two and they will be done. I can give you specific measurements but that won't help. I can help with techniques and how I did specific things like mount an amp inside the tube SVS style.

-Robert

JamesJKjr

Grip
Thanks Robert
I believe I will go with the Mid Q alignment,as I believe it will be the overall best by reading the info you referenced.I do appreciate the help.

thanks again
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks