Need help syncing 2 folders on 2 networked computers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Luke_Y, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Need help syncing 2 folders on 2 networked computers. Both on WinXP Prof.

My wife is a grad student and has a "School" folder in My Documents on her notebook, and a "School" folder in My Documents on our home PC as well. This folder contains various sub-folders and assorted documents in them.

The problem is that when she works on one system or the other for a while creating and saving documents as she goes the folders become quite different. She would like to easily keep the folders the same without having to search through both, finding documents and copying them back and forth to sync them.

Not so much worried about having different versions of docs that are a work in progress, but just having them all available on either computer after they are finished.

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Have you set up the network to share files yet? If you haven't you can go into the -> control panel -> network connections -> setup home network (located on the left side of the window) and then just go through the wizard. XP is fairly easy to set up, you'll just have to do it with both computers.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

My office used to use a freeware program called FileSync for this exact purpose.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Yes file sharing is enabled... That's not the problem. The trouble is she works on both computers and keeping up with what is where, sorting through dozens of folders, hundreds of files, and copying back and forth every couple of weeks becomes a chore. She want's an easy to keep both folders the same.

Rob, thanks. I'll look into "FileSync"

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

There is a plethora of options when it comes to syncing files over a normal windows network. One program I've tried and that works well is called Second Copy, but that one isn't free.

Here's a Google search with tons of links with further info.

http://www.google.com/search?q=synch...olders+network

6. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

How about syncing files between work and home? Is there freeware to automate this via an ftp site or something?

7. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob -

Would FileSync work for sync'ing between a PC and USB Jump Drive?

Thanks

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

We haven't used it for many years, but as far as I remember, FileSync would sync any 2 folders that show up in Windows Explorer, regardless of what type of media they are on.

FTPSync is available from the same vendor.