What's new

Need help/suggestions for my new HTPC (1 Viewer)

Rajeev Dawar

Agent
Hi.
I have a Athlon 1.1 Gig machine with 512 MB Ram, 200 GB Hard drive, Windows XP, Creative 5.1 Live Platinum, and an ATI AIW Radeon video card. This is the first AIW card based on the Radeon chips, I believe the 7200. I also have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive.
What I would like to do is add HDTV capability to this machine,mainly as a HD PVR.
I am looking for advice so that I can use what I have and add a couple of things (hardware/software) so that I have a great DVD Player, HD Tuner/NTSC Tuner and PVR (both HD and NTSC), de-interlacer, and video-capture (limited). And for monitor duty, I want to use my Toshiba 65H82 Widescreen HDTV. (It can take 480i, 480p and 1080i).
Thanks a bunch in advance for your advice.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Others may disagree but I don't think a 1.1. ghz Athlon (regardless of the video card) will manage HD PVR capabilities. Standard definition, perhaps, but not HD.

I'd suggest a mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade before jumping into HD.

Download the HD video samples for WMP9 (at Microsoft's site for WMP9) and test them on your current system. I expect you'll see stutter problems -and that's only in simple playback. The moment you ask it to do full PVR functions it's gonna choke.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Standard definition, perhaps, but not HD
Because the existing capture cards are software based, you will not be able to capture analog streams at 640 X 480 with your set up without wicked stuttering.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Hanson, the idea of doing HD in hardware totally skipped my mind. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Rajeev, look into the MyHD MDP120. It's around $300, which is cheaper than upgrading your system and buying a software based system like FusionHDTV.

I bought mine with the understanding that it I'd pay for a restock fee if I couldn't get reception. I bought the Radio Shack bowtie that was recommended, but it didn't work. I bought a Silver Sensor and that sonovabitch worked like a charm.

MyHD will play DVD's, but there's all sorts of problems including macrovision limited fullscreen playback (which can be overcome with DVDIdle) and no DVD style controls like chapter skip and whatnot (MyHD does not pay a license to the DVD consortium, so playback is buggy at best). There is an NTSC tuner included and it can take cable, but the capture will not work with your set up. All NTSC is converted to .avi files that cannot be played by MyHD.

It's great for HD timeshifting, and that's all that matters to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks