Need Help! Subwoofer under $150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Burch, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Joe Burch

Joe Burch Extra

Well, i have been reading all the stuff here for days and still can't come up with decision for my subwoofer.

I'll be running a Denon 1803 with JBL NSP2's. Now I need a sub.

I'm leaning towards the JBL PB10 since it's matched to the system, but I see lots of pros/cons on that.

Going to 90% use this setup for Movies. Smallish room, roughly 13 x 13 maybe, and probably will put the sub behind the corner of the couch (L shaped couch in acorner), or directly in front to the left of tv.

Any suggestions? The sony wm40 is reasonable, as is the DSL, but I've got about 150 or so to spend so if I can get better, let me know please? I don't need a LOT of power since i can't be keeping the family up at night, but I want good tone and feel with enough power to KNOW the sub is there.

Thanks

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joe,

Go with the DLS all the way. Especially over the Sony.

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i use the pb10 with an onkyo reciever and the nsp1s. if i had to do it again id probably get the DLS. the jbl sounds pretty good (though it seems a bit boomy, though it could be the room) but it doesnt go down below 30Hz or so, and i dont think it would be worth doubling the price over the DLS.

4. Joe Burch

Joe Burch Extra

Ok, thanks. I will probably go with the DLS - it's seems like a real bargain. I hope I'm not dissapointed.

One quick question: looking at the hookups for the DLS i noticed I have only 1 out for the subwoofer on the receiver, sub pre-out. What is the proper way to hook this up to the DLS that has l&r jacks, both Line-In and High-Level In?

Probably a stupid question, but the last thing I need to do is blow this sucker when I hook it up. [​IMG]

Most other subs I've looked at have a single jack for the sub-cable so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Joe, get yourself a single female to double male y connector and plug the line from the receiver's sub out to female of the Y and the two males from the Y into the DLS. That's it. The Y adaptor costs about $3.00 at Radio Shack.