need help! Stargate or Defender ?

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
...as a standup "coin" arcade game for the home? I have stargate ordered but having 2nd thoughts. Defender is a classic and some Stargate opinions say there's too much going on. I like both but is less more for the home ? Now you see my dilemma.

all opinions greatly appreciated.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Get a $5000 home version two-player DDR unit.
Dance Dance Revolution is amazing
Otherwise, I've only played Defender of those two, but Defender's a solid little number.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Defender....
But if I was going to get a home arcade, I'd get Galaga. I still love that game.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Between the two get the one that has importance. Stargate is just a lame sequal. Defender is the real thing.

Van Walker

Auditioning
I own a Stargate machine and love it. Using the stargate to locate humanoids and warping levels adds to the game. Inviso is also a great weapon once you learn to use it.

Van

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I did it. I canceled my StarGate order and went with Defender. It should hold it's value rather nicely and after all, it's considered one of the top 10 games of all time. It definitley keeps you panicking for your life. ...should be a great stress reducer ?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually, with a little work and/or a little extra cash you can set up a Stargate to play both games. You can't do that to a Defender without drilling the control panel to make an extra hole for Inviso.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Good idea Mike. I've heard about that. Joust is another one that can be set up. Man that store owner is gonna kill me if i switch back to buying a Stargate Unit. He must think I'm one fickle SOB already. But heck, these games arent cheap and I've been so up in the air about which one to get. I used to play both. The thing is he has to grab the unit from the "warehouse" and start his refurbishment on the unit before I pick it up. Decisions... decisions.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
"Warehouse"? He's probably going to pick up a used one at a USAA auction for a hundred bucks or so (or more depending on condition), then fix it up a bit.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, so where are you getting these from?
I have an old "World Series: The Season" machine in my garage that works, but needs some reconditioning, and the circuit boards and control panel for an original Donkey Kong machine, provided I ever get the time and a cabinet to put them in...

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Joel & Mike,

I've looked at these on a auction site. The big hitters like Stargate, Ms Pacman, Defender & Galaga still go for a premium $600 - 900 depending on condition. Defender will be a Museum Piece of sorts & I feel and will never depreciate. For a couple hundred more I'm picking the game at a local "big toys" shop here in Detroit. They also service what they sell.

Jake,

That is real interesting. I'll have to look into this. Thanks

Late for work...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The ArcadePC is very expensive for what it is - if you've got the time, it's much more rewarding/cheaper to build your own 'clone' of it.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I just checked the latest price on the ArcadePC site. They've more than tripled the price since I bought mine from them (back in winter 2000)! I paid 800 dollars for it. I was originally considering building one myself. In my search for plans and arcade controls I came across the ArcadePC, and thought that it was a good price.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmurphy1969