What's new

Need help splitting an MPEG file to create VCD (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread but it falls under soft ware since I am looking for software to to this and am using it to create software (a VCD) to be viewd on my home theatre...
Have a few movies I transferred to MPEG format to make VCDs but are too big to fit a single disk. Can anyone refer me to FREE software I can download to split the file in 2? It has to be simple, easy to use and FREE. Either free or if you can point me to a way to obtain free. Feel free to e-mail a reply if you wish to [email protected] if you rather not reply here. (don't see why but...)
Any help would REALY be appreciated.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate the help. I was hoping for a bit more help though from someone who may have done it before. I read vcd helper but all the software they suggest either must be purchased to to use or the trial version cannot create a file bigger than a certain amount not allowing me to cut a 700Mb to 1Gb file into 2 equal parts. same for TMPGEnc which I already used to encode the file to mpeg format to begin with.

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

You can use this to shorten a file... Instead of "breaking" it into 3 parts- make 3 copies, open in TMPGEnc and use its crop function to set in/out points and create 3 files -- the first containing only the first 3rd, second containing the middle 3rd, and the last one the final 3rd.

-Vince

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
In TMPGEnc follow this steps:

1. Open TMPGEnc
2. Close the wizard window
3. Click on file -> mpeg tools
4. Click on merge and cut
5. In type select MPEG-1 Video-CD
6. Click on "Add" and select the file you want to cut
7. Click on "Edit" and select a range within 80 minutes (that's the max. time you can save in a 700 min)
8. Click in OK, put /select a name in output and hit run

Hope this works

DanHaya

Second Unit
Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware (besides a VCR) do you need to convert the video and audio to MPEG format? I would love to convert my old home movies to VCD if it's not too much trouble.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
You need some sort of caputre device on your computer. This could be a simple TV Tuner which works fairly well, to a full blown dedicated capture card. Some video cards have this built in through a TV Tuner on the card (ie ATI's All in Wonder cards) or a TV IN port.

You can also get external boxes (such as those made by Dazzle) that will connect to your computer either through USB or Firewire to do the conversion. Some of these will also allow you to output your video back to a VCR or TV.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Ok, thanks! I think my video card is the ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR with VIVO. Is that good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks