Need Help! Should I go for a 57" or 65" RPTV??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dennis Gonzales, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Dennis Gonzales

Hello All,

I am considering on purchasing a 57" or 65" Toshiba RPTV. This would be my first major purchase towards a home theater system. I am having a little trouble on deciding whether a 57" is enough or would I be kicking myself later on because I didn't go for the 65"er?
    I live in a condo and I will be placing my home theater system in my loft, which is 16' x 16' with a 9'ceiling. I have viewed both the 57" and 65" side by side, and they both look great at about 10' which was inside a shop. But I know eveything looks smaller in the shop and I am worried 65" might be overkill when I have it set up.
    So, I am asking for anyones experiences or help on making my final decision.

Thanks,

Dennis

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I doubt that 65" will be overkill for most people with a 10' viewing distance, as long as your source material is high quality. That, along with your own viewing preferences, tends to be the deciding factor.

I'm at 100" with a 11' viewing distance, giving me almost exactly the "THX optimal" viewing cone. I'd actually prefer slightly larger than that, when viewing HD material.

3. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I'd definitely go with the 65 inch. I currently have a 65" and I'm sitting only 8 feet away. And I still feel it's too small. So, don't go with a 57" or you'll regret it later on.

I must warn you though, when you first get it home, it takes a while for your eyes to adjust to the larger screen size. It took me about 2 months for my eyes to adjust. It looked so HUGE in my room, but now, it looks too SMALL. In fact, I think it's shrinking!

4. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

While you’re at it, how about the Sony KDF-70XBR950. Does anyone have experience with this model or know where it has beeen reviewed? Viewed it in the store and it looks very nice.

Regards
    -jb

5. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

GO 65"!

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Wider is better if you are looking at hdtv[​IMG]

7. Dennis Gonzales

So a sixty-fiver eh?? Yes, after watching LOTR on my in-laws 51" Toshiba widescreen, I think I can go way larger! I currently have a 36" XBR VVega(34" in widescreen mode) and it just doesn't fit the bill for a home theater display. Oh well, it will go to the bedroom! ..Thank you guys for your reply!!!....
    I currently have my eyes on the Toshiba 65" RPTV and getting a friend to price it out for me..I'll tell you guys how it goes!

8. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the minority here but I picked the 57" over the 65". For my room and viewing distance( 11 feet) I felt the 57" would be brighter and have a better pq. I'm happy with it. I take comfort in knowing my CRTs work less and will last longer.

9. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for 65". I have had a 57" widescreen analog set for over 6 years and just upgraded to 64" HD RPTV. Viewing distance is typically 10' - 12', sometimes more or less. I'd go bigger if I had the space (and the money). I'd really like FP with a 100" screen, but I just don't have a room suited to it.