NEED HELP: should I choose RPTV or FPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chauncey_G, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I'm also going to post this is the FPTV section to get that viewpoint also.

I'm going to be purchasing either an RPTV or FPTV this year sometime. I had been looking pretty much at RPTV's (Pioneer Elite and Hitachi are the two front-runners so far) in the 61" range.

However, while I've been looking into this stuff, I keep hearing some say how FPTV is the only way to go. I don't mind spending the money so long as I know that I'm going to be happy with it for a while. I don't want to get upgrade fever two months after I buy whatever I end up with.

So I guess the long and short of it is, I would like some pro's and con's on owning RPTV's vs. FPTV's.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Used to be in the same boat. As you probably already know, FPTVs have a much wider price range than RPTVs.

IMO, there are many things to consider. Here's the way that I approached it:

1) I'm a HT nut and want an entire living room space to be completely centered around the HT entertainment. However, I have a multi-use (TV, video games, etc) and therefore, a FPTV would be more "complicated" for the wife to use. Plus, it's not the way to go if you want to use to just flip channels.

2) I do watch movies and like BIG presentations. I say, the bigger the picture, even at the cost of a little bit of image quality, will produce a much more cinematic effect, and therefore enhance the movie watching experience. FPTVs are great for that.

My solution, START with a RPTV and cut a section of the wall out and recess the RPTV into the wall. (shouldn't cost too much or it can be FREE if you do it yourself)

After you're ready to spend more $$$ install a pull down screen on the ceiling in front of the RPTV. Your next step is to get a FPTV when the budget allows.

The only thing you need to wory about is video cable wiring, which means either splitting your receiver's componenet video signal to both the RPTV and FPTV or getting a second dvd player just for the FPTV and running a single optical cable to the receiver (I would just go with a second dvd player)

Hope this helps!

Elbert

3. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Elbert! What're you doing to me, man! I'm supposed to buy now while planning on the upgrade? You are now my wallet's newest enemy! [​IMG]
    Actually, that's an interesting thought. I like the idea of recessing the RPTV, but I don't think it would work in my case: each of the three walls that I could put it against are exterior walls. Oh, well.
    If I do go the FPTV route, and I've gotten some good info on the FPTV forum on this, then I'm thinking that I'd try to keep my current direct-view TV in the room for regular TV viewing, saving the expensive gear for the movies.
    Decisions, decisions.
    Thanks for the help!

4. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

hehe - no one said this hobby was cheap . But then again, there are ways to save on cost. I'm foregoing the in-wall at the moment because I plan on moving in a few years.
    But, it is my plan when I do start on the right system. I don't plan to use my future FPTV for tv broadcasts, so the in-wall RPTV behind the screen will be my remedy for tv and video games entertainment.
    Your solution sounds good, too. Just have your old set in the same room and everyone's happy...[​IMG]
    ELbert