What's new

Need help setting up sound, please (1 Viewer)

Davidlaw69

Auditioning
Real Name
David L. Finger
I have a Sony 65" tv and a Denon AVR-S720W receiver. I plug the cable cord from my wall to my Xfinity cable box. I connect an HDMI line from the cable box to port 2 in my tv (there is no part 1). I then connected an hdmi line from port 3 in my tv to the cable port in my receiver, but no sound. Speakers are fine. I then tried using port 4 in my tv, still no sound. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You connect hdmi in to the receiver first, then out to the TV. The receiver is the control center of the system, not the TV.

Davidlaw69

Auditioning
Real Name
David L. Finger
Thanks for responding. I take you to mean that the HDMI from the cable box should be connected to the receiver and then a separate HDMI cable should go from the from the receiver to the tv. Is that correct? If so, in which receiver port should the hdmi cable from the cable box go into and from which port in the receiver should the hdmi cable to go the tv?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for responding. I take you to mean that the HDMI from the cable box should be connected to the receiver and then a separate HDMI cable should go from the from the receiver to the tv. Is that correct?

Yes, that’s correct.

If so, in which receiver port should the hdmi cable from the cable box go into...

Any “HDMI In.” One is labeled “CBL/SAT,” so that one seems logical, but they all will work.

...and from which port in the receiver should the hdmi cable to go the tv?

“HDMI Monitor out.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add, hdmi connections aren't just random and universal. There is a flow of "output" to "input". Most devices have only one type. Sources, like your cable box or disc player typically only have outputs. Some high end disc players can have an hdmi input, but they'll be specifically designated "input". Your TV only has hdmi inputs. There's no such thing (that I've ever heard of) as an hdmi "output" on a TV. OK, there are ARC inputs, which are a bit of a grey area, but let's just leave those aside for now. Your receiver has hdmi inputs and one or more hdmi outputs, which are all clearly labeled as input or output. Video flows in one direction

Davidlaw69

Auditioning
Real Name
David L. Finger
Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

20191125_190516.jpg

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
This sort of stuff is usually covered by the quick start guide that comes with your receiver. If you don’t have it handy you can probably find it online.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Problem solved. Thanks for your help.
Good to hear. This stuff can get complicated, since there are also configurations, especially in the receiver, that can be set in ways you don't want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks