What's new

Need help setting up Sony Bravia Surround Sound (1 Viewer)

terri77

Auditioning
Real Name
terri
I am about at my wit's end with this (hence the avatar). I'm not a AV hobbiest, just a user. However, I was given a Sony Bravia Surround SOund and now I can't figure out how to make all this work. I've been doing research everywhere, looking at my manuals - just too many variable. Please note that if it's going to take major hacking to make this work, I'd rather get a new HD tv. :) The old one was nice enough, but I've been thinking about going HD anyway, so this might be a good time, especially if I'll end up spending $100 on cables and such otherwise. Here's my equipment: AT&T U-verse box connected by R6 coax to the TV (pretty sure it's R6; it's 18 gauge and I read that's R6) TV: JVC I'Art AV-27WF35 - RCA cables (red, yellow, white) connector on back plus a gaming one on front; red, blue, green connector on back; maybe an optical port too, but no HDMI. I could have sworn this was HDTV -ready when I bought it, but I don't really know how to change it to HD. Sony Bravia DAV-TZ140 connected by RCA cables (red, yellow, white) to TV Roku XS connected by RCA cables (red, yellow, white) to TV, Ethernet to AT&T modem I have set up the Bravia and tested speakers - they all work. When I had audio outs from TV into Bravia, DVD player (which is also in the Bravia receiver) sound came out of surround speakers, but the TV and Roku only come through TV speakers. I don't know enough to figure out why sound has to go through TV to receiver to speakers, or if some of my cables are simply analog and thus don't have surround sound to be played, or what... any help is appreciated! Terri

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nevermind, this isn't a HD set. All of the "HD capable" I'Art had DVI. You have to set the output on the Sony DAV for 480I. If won't even accept Progressive(480P).

terri77

Auditioning
Real Name
terri
Sorry, but I don't quite understand. I'm not sure if the TV audio should go in the receiver, or if I should use the TV audio output connecters to go into the Sony. Is 480i just a setting for the picture? The picture is coming through fine even from the sony DVD player...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Switch the sound modes. Since the Sony only has analog(red/white) there is no "surround" unless you switch the sound mode. Right in the "specs page" on the Sony site...it has DPL, switch to it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you can't figure out what button to push to "change sound modes"...post a picture of the remote. I'm not downloading an entire owners manual just to see the remote. I can't find "just a picture" of the remote, anywhere...not even on the ones "sold for scrap" on Ebay.

terri77

Auditioning
Real Name
terri
I have the manual already, but the remote is long gone. Just using the AT&T remote. I do not see anything for sound settings except SAP, MTS. I am not asking you to download a manual, but if you could post the link to the specs, that might help. The specs listed in the manual don't seem to mention DPL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, there is nothing you can do without the remote. I would suggest you buy this...for spare parts...and the remote. http://www.ebay.com/itm/As-IS-For-Parts-Sony-DAV-TZ140-Channel-Home-Theater-System-/150996266656?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item2328142ea0

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
.Edit: Posted just after the previous two posts :( No remote is a big problem. If the tv has red and white audio output connection then connect it to the Bravia's red/white audio input (you may have already done this). The Surround button is clearly marked on the remote. It's button #8. Hopefully it solves the problem. Push it repeatedly and select "Multi", then you should hear surround sound as Sam explained.

terri77

Auditioning
Real Name
terri
Maybe I misread - I thought you meant the TV only has analog sound. So the sound coming out of the TV can only be analog, and that's the problem? Is it digital coming from the Uverse set, but then being converted to digital by the TV? And the TV has to have all sound coming into it first as some sort of manager/processor before the sound can go to the receiver? If this is the case, then maybe a new TV is the best fix...?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is NO FIX, period. You absolutely, without any further question....to use THIS HTiB...you have to have....end of discussion.... THE REMOTE.

terri77

Auditioning
Real Name
terri
Yes, I have the surround sound remote; I thought he meant the TV remote. Once I set the receiver/surround sound/sony to multi rather than dolby, wow. Yes, I'm low-tech on many hings and unversed in AV finesse, and this is a low-end system - but I got goosebumps in my small living room. THANK YOU, ALL!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad you got it all working. Both the dislay and the surrouns sound system are quite antequated but you can still get a lot of enjoyment out of what you have. When you learn how to use them ;) . Come back when you're ready for a new display or audio system. Until then, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks