Need help setting up my js-1000 subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mikey_w, Sep 18, 2003.

1. mikey_w

mikey_w Auditioning

I just bought a js-1000 subwoofer. I have a Pioneer VSX-D507S Receiver and need help in how to set this sub up. I tried putting a cord directly from the receiver subwoofer pre-out to the Line In on the sub but that didn't do anything. Do I need to run my front speakers through the sub? The sub has a switch that says phase 180 or 0, what do I set for that? What should I set the Low Pass Frequency at? Anything else I should know? Thank-you!

2. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Probably need to read the manual for your receiver. You've got to tell it that you have a subwoofer. For example, in my Yamaha, you can send bass to "Main" (front two speakers), "Sub" (self-explanatory) and "Both." If set to "Main," no bass will go to the sub.

Also, the gain may be set very low.

As for the phase switch, sit in your listening position with a deep bass test tone or music with a lot of deep, consistent bass. Have a friend, girlfriend, wife, whatever, flip the switch back and forth like every two seconds. Whichever setting has the most (loudest) bass wins. Then adjust the volume to compensate if the bass is too boomy (many people's subs are actually set too high).

As for low pass, if you run an interconnect straight from your receiver's sub output into your sub and speaker wires straight from receiver to speakers, again, tell your receiver that your mains are small (unless they're giant) and to send LFE to the sub and its internal crossover will handle the frequency split for you.

Let us know what you discover after you read the manual and try these suggestions.

3. mikey_w

mikey_w Auditioning

It is an older receiver, and I cannot find anyplace to modify any settings for the subwoofer. The only subwoofer setting is to raise the level +or- 10 db. The manual only says (on the picture that shows the back of the sub that tells you where to plug differents components in) "The sub woofer can be connected in a different way. For details, refer to the instructions on the sub woofer." That message appears next to the input on the receiver labeled "Pre Out Sub Woofer". My receiver did not come with a manual.

Time for a new receiver or can I make this work? Thanks for all your help!

4. DarrenAlan

Well, if you're not getting any sound with the sub out from the receiver, you can try running speaker wire into the sub's "speaker-level" or "high-level" (as opposed to "line level") inputs then more speaker wire from the sub's outputs to your main speakers. If that works, then you can adjust the sub's crossover and volume based on a) your main speaker's -3 db down point and b) what sounds good to your ear.

Option C) would be to buy a setup disk (Video Essentials, Avia, etc.) and a RatShack test meter. I've never one to that length myself.

5. mikey_w

mikey_w Auditioning

I tried doing what you said (running the speaker wire through the sub) and it still didn't work. I then tried it using my dad's receiver (a Sony DE675) using both the line in and the speaker wire methods, and still nothing. I'm beginning to think that I got a bad woofer. Is there any way to test it to see if it works, or to fix it?

6. DarrenAlan

Could be one of a number of things:

-Power supply is fried (you'd need to replace the amp)
    -Woofer is dead (you'd need to replace the driver)
    -A wire has come loose (easy fix, just push back on and, if necessary, crimp with a pliers

Can't hurt to open up the box and investigate. Unplug first!!!