What's new

Need Help Setting Up Multi-Zone With Denon 3801 (1 Viewer)

ChristopherC

Agent
Never dreamed I'd have an issue with this, as I've owned this receiver for years. Finally decided to run some speakers outside to our patio area.

I'm attempting to imitate the setup in the Living room before I run all the cable, and something with the settings on the receiver are stopping it from working. I get no sound from the speakers when I connect them to the multi zone out.

I have a 5.1 setup in the living room. As soon as I select "Multi" from the setup menu (Power Amp Assignment), my options for Multi Vol. Level (also under the setup) disappear. This almost seems backwards to me. At no point do I get any sound from the speakers, regardless of which source I select, or how I setup the multi zone section in the setup.

Any suggestions? I really thought this would be straightforward and I'm beginning to wonder if somethings wrong with the receiver...

Thanks for any help guys...

Chris

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Yup. Post a link to your receiver’s manual. Otherwise there’s no way for us to know what your receiver’s connections and capabilities are. We need to know that in order figure out what the problem is.

Regards,
Wayne

ChristopherC

Agent
Well, I got it to go, kind of a different way than I thought was necessary - running it thru a seperate amp. I think most of my issues were due to not having the remote, and a poorly written manual by Denon (for example it never mentions that the multiroom option will not pass audio from digital sources).

The setup is complex, and I doubt my wife will use it - so I may look to ebay for a cheap receiver just to drive the outside speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Page 46...

But yes, that is a common “gotcha,” digital connections not passing audio to second zones. And it does look complicated. Gotta love modern HT technology!

Traditionally, the “Record Out” jacks have carried the same signal as the selected source, so any of them could be tapped for second zone use. It’s not clear from the manual if this is the case without first setting the “Record Out” option to “Source.” It’s also not clear how the “Surr Back/Multi Zone” speaker terminals work – i.e., always the same as the source? Per the “Multi Out” section on P. 46? Uncertainty abounds.

If the “Record Out” jacks are always active when “Record Out” is set to “Source” (i.e., requiring no further button-pushing to activate them), a receiver or other amplifier can be used to power your patio speakers, and they’ll work anytime for any source you select. That’s probably your best option if you have to go through a lot of steps every time to get the “Multi” speaker connections working.

Sometimes, you gotta wonder if these people ever actually use the gear they manufacture...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks