Need help setting up Marantz SR5200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron_Morris, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

Well, after quite a long ordeal I finally recieved my SR5200. Now I am having some trouble setting it up. The front left channel has no output. I have yet to check it with a DMM to see if it is getting any voltage. Gotta search some boxes to find it again. Anyway, I have tried it with a DVD (The Fifth Element) as well as a some CDs. Nothing seems to give any output. I have searched though some menus trying to set the levels and the such but nothing seems to be working. Also, it was not working when I first set it up, before I fished through the menus, so I don't think I inadvertantly muted it. Any help would be much appriceated.

2. Aaron_Morris

After a little more thought, I figured I'd hook up a differant speaker to it to see if maybe the speaker wasn't working. Well the test speaker isn't putting out anythign either. Also the surround center isn't putting out any sound.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You cannot "mute" a main channel, other than turning it's volume all the way down in the speaker levels menu. That does not sound good. Start by setting all of the speaker levels to 0

The rear center will not work if it is not enabled in the speaker setup menu, as well as having the receiver set to 6ch stereo or 6.1 matrix. You will know if it is off, because in the speaker level menu, there will be no rear center listed.

4. Aaron_Morris

I found what you are saying about the rear center, and it is working now. But still nothing with the left main.
    The ordeal that I mentioned was as followed: I ordered the unti from Accesories4less, pretty painless minus spending money. They sent it to my apartment, easy enough and quickly too. I hook it up and nothing. The LCD didn't work and there was no output. It was getting warm and the power supply would click when I turned it from standby to ON, but other than that it was completely dead. So I sent it to Service Wide Tech, this is where it began to suck. Apparently I forgot to include an invoice from AC4L so they didn't know if they could service it or not. 3 weeks go by and no work back, so I called them. Service wide tech was closed for the week. So the next week I call back. The guy I talked to didn't have any record of getting the unit in, and figured I had sent it in while they were closed. I convinced him that I had sent it way earlier so he went and checked where it was. They found it, apparently they have fixed it like 2 weeks earlier but couldn't send it out because it didn't have the invoice. Anyway, I got it back, said that they had repaied a powersupply and a main xformer/resolderedstandby xformer. The unit was bought as a refurb, and originally had IC71 replaced on the B'D (not sure what that means).
    Now I am starting to think that buying a refurb was a bad idea. [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Refurb is hit or miss, but it is at least warrantied. I would contact AC4L and let them know, maybe they can swap it out for you. If not, I am certain they will give you full credit, not sure about money back, but I would see what they have to say.

A guy I know had a simialr problem with a refurb 5200 (locally), but after 2 tries, the store finally gave him a brand NEW one at the refurb price! That is customer service.

Sorry to hear that it has been such a hassle.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I bought a 5200 from Accessories for less about 6 months ago and it worked perfectly. However I had to sell it because I ran out of money. But I had a pleasant experience with them. I guess you just got unlucky and got one of the bad ones.

7. Aaron_Morris

yeah I guess so. AC4L is being really nice about the whole deal, heck I even got them to fax an invoice to Service Wide Tech. And SWT isn't being rude or anything, just not exactly getting the job done.