What's new

Need help setting up budget system (1 Viewer)

Troy S

Agent
I have about $500 to spend. Have tried out a couple HTIB systems and the bass is just too lacking to be happy. Don't expect top of the line or anything, but would like small speakers and strong bass. Have heard the names but don't know what is good and bad when it comes to subs and speakers. I think I can handle picking out the receiver, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Haven't checked out the new Onkyo HTIB 6.1 system yet, but reviews seem very good. Would this fit the bill? Are Sony subs any good? How about JBL or Polk?

HELP!!!!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well if you can up your price a ltitle more there are alot of options without HTIB and will sound 10x better. HTIB packages usually include somewhat cheap recievers, terrible $2 radio shack speakers, and a sub that doesn't usually get below 45Hz and it's boomy even at that point.

Here is a quick runout for about $650-700 and it will last you...

Harman/Kardon AVR-125 reciever
Klipsch Quintet 5 speakers satellite system
Subwoofer of your choice.

Those two product will put you at about the $500 mark and the subwoofer of course being your choice. For a budget system Sony subwoofers aren't bad and Polks are a little better I think... especially seeing Polk is having some good deals right now.

So go check it out, you won't be disappointed shelling out a little more for it if you can because it will be alot better than a crappy HTIB.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You could try the Acoustic Research HC6 speakers for around $300. This will leave about $200 for a receiver.

That AR package includes a powered subwoofer.

Troy S

Agent
Thanks guys. What do you think about Paradigm? I just checked them out at a local shop and really liked the intro level small ones. Small but had good sound just by themselves, without the lows or course, but added the sub and a really strong crisp sound I thought.

Are JBL and Onkyo speakers and subs even worth considering or am I wasting my money?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks