What's new

Need help setting up a new dvd player...no sound (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Actually,my friend just got one.I cant get to him right now and he does not drive so..we just spent the last 2 hours on the phone tinkering with the thing.He is pretty slow so it takes him a wile to get things going.
Here is the thing.he got the panasonic DVD-RV26 at walmart today.his tv just has left and video inputs.Now,he says there is a picture(boy did he rave about that) but no sound.
I went through everything I could think of..Any ideas?he says all the connections are snug,the tv is turned up(he put it on a tv show and I could hear it) he had somthing else plugged into the audio input so we know that works.I had him check and make sure he did not accidently plug it into the digital coax output,good there.
I went to the panny website and they have no info on this dvd player...
------------------
My dvd collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that sometimes DVD players default to the analog audio outputs, so you need to go into the DVD player's menu and enable the digital audio output.

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
A. He's just using mono?
I would at least suggest a Y cord to get both the left and right audio inputs.
B. No set up on the DVD player?
Yes there is. There has to be. He just cant find it.
He will have to find the set up menu by reading the manual.
Then after setting it up so that the PCM is chosen and I do believe that it is set there as default, you also need to make sure that your DVD disc menu chooses English pro-logic, not Dolby Digital.
One thing he can do is to hit the AUDIO button on the remote to scroll through the options.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Ok,I have a Y adapter and I will give it to him tomorrow so he can get both channels.He read off all of the buttons on the remote and there was no setup listed.I am gonna call him in a bit and see what we can figure out but I will certainly tell him to go into the menu and switch the audio to 2 channel on the dvd.I think he got romeo must die so i dont know what that titles defaults to.
------------------
My dvd collection

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
He read off all of the buttons on the remote and there was no setup listed.
Believe it or not, sometimes there are buttons on the front panel of the machine that aren't duplicated on the remote. It may also be buried in the player's on-screen menus some where and not on a dedicated remote button. Again, the manual will be your best bet.
I would also disagree with the selection of the soundtrack on the DVD itself being an issue. Not all DVDs have a dedicated non-Dolby Digital track, and all DVD players will provide a Dolby Surround downmix through the analog outputs.
Saurav's advice above is exactly backwards. You're wanting the analog outputs in this case, not the digital. All of my Sony player's outputs are active all the time, I don't know about the Panasonic.
If I were to guess, your friend either has something connected wrong, he has his DVD player's audio set-up wrong, or something needs to be set differently on his TV.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'd have the go go through the on-screeen display while there is no disc in the dvd player. that should help eliminate which menu options are "valid".
he probably has to hit the menu button, then somehow go to a setup option. from there, maybe a "sub-menu" for audio? this is sort of how my sony is setup.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I would suggest that he reads the manual front to back and then read it again. Then try and figure the problem out. Of all of my friends and family that have had set-up problems like this, I have found that about 90% have not read the manual properly. They have just given it a quick scan for words that they recognize and then decide that they need help. RTFM I always say.
On the other hand, Never, I mean Never try to give advice over the phone(unless that's what you do for a living). It will usually confuse the heck out of most people and in turn frustrate you. With the last person I helped with their DVD player problems, I spent about 2 hours on the phone trying to explain different things to him. I then went to his house and we had it straightened out in about 10 minutes. I then spent the next half an hour setting up his speakers and sub and explaining why he shouldn't have his surround speakers sitting on top of his mains
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I'm rambling now, just makes sure he knows the manual inside and out before you try and help him. If he learns it, chances are he won't need your help at all.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
LOL,surrounds on top of mains,sound like my father in law
rolleyes.gif
I dont like him so much so I dont take the time to help him out.Actually he made a prymaid out of his speakers.His mains on top of the tv,center on top of that then his surrounds are right next to each other on top of the center...
I will see the dvd player tomorrow...and like it was said..probably have it running in 10 minutes.
------------------
My dvd collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks