What's new

Need help setting up a home network! (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I finally got a dsl line for my home and would like to setup a simple network to have my htpc and two laptops link together.

I've seen some ads for wireless networking but I'm sure if they are worth it.

I'm using a usb dsl modem which is on one of the laptops which already have a network card and a network hub. I will be picking up a new laptop network card for the second laptop but would like to know if I should go wireless or not.

Does anyone have any info to share with me.

Thanks.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
We have a Linksys 4 port+wireless cable/DSL router and it is really nice to have if you have portables. You can go anywhere in the house with it. My wife actually uses it the most. She reads email in bed and browses around the net on the sofa. I'd say get it if you can afford it.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Ditto Andrew's situation here. I have the Linksys 4 port wireless access point + router/switch and a wireless card in my laptop. My wife uses the laptop while I am on the desktop computer. It works really well. All Linksys.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Wireless is great, if you have the money. I'd do what the others here have done - get a Linksys DSL router with built in networking hub (they're usually 4 port, which lets you connect up to 4 computers - you can always buy another hub to add more later on if you need to). If you want wireless, buy the one with wireless networking built in.

Before you setup a wireless network I recommend you read and understand everything you can about it. 802.11b is very insecure and if you just throw the box online chances are anyone within a certain radius of your house will be able to use your Internet connection, access any insecure file shares on your computers, etc. Not cool. There are steps you can take to secure your wireless network and you should be familiar with and follow them. It's not extremely difficult, in fact the router will probably come with information telling you how to do this. If it doesn't, look it up on your own.

Then of course you just need network cards for the computers and you're good to go!

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Wired networking (if you can run the cables) is faster, cheaper, and more secure than wireless. Of course, if you're primarily using your network to surf the web, you won't see much slowdown in speed using wireless since your DSL connection speed is the botteneck.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies.:b

I need help creating a shopping list for my wireless network.

Since I'm going to network only the two laptops for now here is what I'm about to buy:

1. Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router

2. Linksys WPC11 Wireless Network PC Card

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Wireless is expensive. Does your cable modem have a Network jack on it? You will need one if you want to set up a linksys or similar Cable/DSL router. I work in networking so if you need any more help you can IM me at QuackXP at either AIM or Yahoo! if you want.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Wireless is expensive.
Not so expensive anymore. Especially when you compare it to having to wire your whole 1920's era house like I did. Check practicallynetworked.com. Lots of good info and comparisons with links to pricegrabber.com to find the best deal. Wireless is very convenient and as fast as I need it to be, (SteveA is right, bottleneck is the Intenet connection). Security precautions need to be taken, but overall worth it in the end IMO.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Well I just got off the phone with bellsouth ordering a new ethernet dsl modem
What did you pay? I am a Bellsouth DSL customer and I bought my modem off ebay for $70. I had a problem and thought it was a bad modem so I bought 2 more modems (don't ask) for about $50 each. I've got one to spare if you're interested.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Before you setup a wireless network I recommend you read and understand everything you can about it. 802.11b is very insecure and if you just throw the box online chances are anyone within a certain radius of your house will be able to use your Internet connection, access any insecure file shares on your computers, etc. Not cool.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

-Andre F

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Linksys BEFW11S4, and WPC11...wireless rocks! About security issues...heck, I'm in Punxsutawney, PA....and frankly I think I AM the only one with wireless around here not to mention on a network!.....which actually doesn't address the problem.....but wont that wep encrytion thingy handle "interlopers?"

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Denward:
Thanks but BS is offering free modems afters rebate.
How is the range on the Linksys wireless products I'm looking at? The hub will be in an upstairs office but I would like to be able to work downstairs and maybe even in the patio.
Maybe I'll just pickup the hub and card today to try it my self.:D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i recently asked a similar question!
also, the may issue of pc world has a 12 page article called "the no hassle networking guide" which appears (i'm just starting to read it) to have some good info.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Update:
Last night I tried setting up my new BS Acatel Home Speed ethernet modem and had nothing but problems. :angry:
First I tried using it with my new Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router and Linksys WPC11 Wireless Network PC Card with no luck. I kept getting the messages connecting to server and time out error. I do have two laptops connected through the BEFW11S4 and it works flawlessly. So I thought I could simply connect the new modem to the BEFW11SW.
When that did not work I tried using the Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop's built in NIC. After many tries I was albe to connect to BS server but I was not able to load any pages. I did try pinging yahoo so I knew I was connected.
I then called Bellsouth who had me reinstall the modem using the laptop's NIC and was then able to surf. But once I got off the phone with BS and tried reconnecting I got the same problem of not being able to surf.
Called BS again and after removing a number of adapters and trying to reconnect the modem would work just about every other time.
What makes no sense to me is that when using my laptop at work I get connected instantly using the BS Cayman modem which is thier business class modem. I'm using it right now to write this thread. So I'm pretty sure I don't have a bad NIC on my laptop.
Could I have a bad modem?:frowning:
Can anyone direct me to a simply setup procedure for correctly setting up my modem to work with my wireless network?
After spending five hours trying to get this to work I'm beginning to run out of ideas.
I would hate to have to go back to my usb modem.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry to hear the bad news michael...i know next to nothing about this so can't offer any advice.
i just hope i don't have that much problems when i try to do mine... ;)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Update:
I made a call to Linksys and within five minutes they had me up and running. :D
Thanks a million for the support. I'm finally enjoying wireless!:D

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
Some more things to consider when you decide to wireless:
1. If you plan to access your company's internal network, forget it with a wireless system by Linksys. The wireless part does not support IPSec, so you cannot vpn. Higher end models do allow for this. If the unit comes with a wired switch as well, then you will be able to connect with a cable. I suggest to get a unit that support both wireless and connections.
2. There is a limit as to how far you can move from the wireless access point. If you have some walls/floors in between then this could be cut significantly to less than 20 feet at times. If the barrier is big enough, then you can lose all connectivity.
3. Take a look at HomePNA home networking. This system uses the power lines in your house as the network cabling, so essentially is 'almost' wireless since you do not need wires running across the whole room. Just plug in any unit in a power outlet, and you have a network.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks