What's new

Need help setting dma on my tdk cd burner (1 Viewer)

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Liteon Dvd rom and and a tdk cd burner. Per the manufacturer instructions the tdk is the master and the dvd is the slave. When I had windows me they both ran as an ultra dma device with no problems, but now with windows xp they are set to pio mode only and I cant get it to change, even though I have repeatedly set them to "ultra dma if available". So now my 32x burner is not burning well, since it cant keep up with my hard drive, which is an 80 gig WD that run at ultra dma 5. How can I get these devices to be set with dma on where they will stay? I am starting to get really hacked off with xp pro, while my computer crashes a lot less than with me, xp does not seem to be cd burner friendly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If you can't change the setting, the only way I know to get it back to DMA is through deleting a few checksum values in the registry (they reappear on the next bootup).

Disclaimer: Editing the registry can really hose up your system if you are unfamiliar with the process. Do not attempt this if you feel uncomfortable with editing the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
2. Find the following KEY
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lClass{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}00x
The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum.

3. Reboot the computer.
4. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

-Dave

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Dave. While I have read things on changing the registry, I have never actually done. I will make careful notes of how the registry appears before I proceed. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If you have any questions, just let me know. My old computer has a goofy IDE controller, so I've had to delete those keys many times. :)

-Dave

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave, it worked like a charm. Both drives are now recognized as dma, and my burner is perfoming like it was before I installed XP. (Just to test it, I have been burning cds for the last half hour :D )

Is it likely that windows will do that again? Is this a register key that I am going to have to change often? I hope not, but it was pretty simple.

Anyhow, thanks again, I was getting pretty frustrated with XP over this, before I was running Windows ME, and the only thing I could get to work well was my burner, now with XP, everything was working much better except my burner...but now my burner is back and I am one happy camper :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Everytime there is an error in traffic, the DMA level will get bumped down a notch until it hits PIO. In my situation, I would occaisionally have a burn just stall out, and everything would reset to PIO when I rebooted. Hopefully your system is more stable. Just in case though, you can bookmark that registry section in RegEdit. :)

-Dave

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I'm running Windows 98SE...I don't see the 'class' part of that combination in my registry. I DO see deviceclass but then not the next bit.. any suggestions for me?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
This registry fix is for XP only - I'm not sure if there is a corresponding fix for 98. In 98, I've always been able to go into the device manager, and change the DMA settings in the properties for the IDE controller.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks