What's new

Need help setting delay on Sherwood receiver. (1 Viewer)

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
I have the Sherwood 8090 Receiver and can't find the manual but wanted to know what to set my rear delays to?

My choices are 15, 20, 25, and 30 milliseconds.

my TV is about 10 feet from my couch while the rear speakers are about 6 to 7 feet behind the couch.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
First, you need to realize that this is a 4th order/un-important setting. I could sneak in and change the setting on your receiver and you would never notice it.
But since it's easy to do: set it to 15 MSec.
You are trying to compensate for different seating distances. Sound travels 1 foot/second in your living room (unless you live in Denver :) )
Measure the distance from your ears to one of the tweeters on your L or R speaker. Lets call this "F".
Measure the distance from your ears to one of the tweeters on your rear speakers. Call this "R".
Your rear speaker Delay should be = F - R
In your case, Delay = 10 - 6 = 4 feet ~= 4 MiliSeconds
Since your receiver only has some pre-set values, set it to the nearest one: 15 mSec.
Hope this helps.

noahG

Agent
I'm sure this was just a typo, but for anyone else out there who's reading this, the speed of sound in most living rooms is a lot closer to 1100feet/sec. So the guesstimate system most people use is 1 millisecond for every foot of difference between front and rear speaker distance. But in your case, as the difference would only be 4 milliseconds, you're probably better off just leaving it off. 4 is much closer to zero than it is to 15.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Opps. Sound travels about 1.1 feet per MiliSecond - thanks for the catch noah. :b
And he's right. Do you have the option to not have any delay? My old receiver did not so the 15 msec advice is the best you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.