What's new

Need help selecting speakers. (1 Viewer)

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, my friend and I are getting an apartment, and I'm looking to put together an awesome home theater system. Now I have about $2500 to spend at first, and that has to cover a TV and the speakers. I have a receiver that will work for now, and a subwoofer I might be able to hold out a month or two for. As far as the TV goes, I'm thinking about getting a 52" widescreen RCA HDTV-Ready projection TV. I'm working on getting a connection going to where I can get it for less than a grand, but if it falls through then there goes about half of my budget. So, let's say $1200 on speakers.

I only want a 5.1 system, and it's a medium sized living room. My current receiver (Yamaha RX-V496) puts out I think 70 watts x 5, to 4 or 8 ohms. I'd like to upgrade, since this one is a few years old and the volume cuts in and out once it's left on for a little while (it can't be a heat problem, it's well ventilated and doesn't even feel warm). I REALLY like the 600 series 3 from B&W, and I wanted to get the large bookshelves, matching center channel, and surrounds from B&W, but that puts me way over budget, or at least I think. I'm confused on the B&W pricing, the model I like is the DM602 S3, but I'm confused, is it $300 per speaker or per pair? So I was looking at Axiom, and it looks promising, but how would these compare to the B&W's? And I'm trying to look into Paradigm, but I can't find too much pricing information. Is a Paradigm system in my budget? Also, I have no real preference as to bookshelf or tower mains, but I do know that I'm considering an SVS sub, but $549 is a bit pricey. Can comparable bass be had for less? How about buying a raw driver, amp, and building a box? I'm having some tough times trying to figure this stuff out, any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, my friend and I are getting an apartment, and I'm looking to put together an awesome home theater system. Now I have about $2500 to spend at first, and that has to cover a TV and the speakers. I have a receiver that will work for now, and a subwoofer I might be able to hold out a month or two for. As far as the TV goes, I'm thinking about getting a 52" widescreen RCA HDTV-Ready projection TV. I'm working on getting a connection going to where I can get it for less than a grand, but if it falls through then there goes about half of my budget. So, let's say $1200 on speakers.

I only want a 5.1 system, and it's a medium sized living room. My current receiver (Yamaha RX-V496) puts out I think 70 watts x 5, to 4 or 8 ohms. I'd like to upgrade, since this one is a few years old and the volume cuts in and out once it's left on for a little while (it can't be a heat problem, it's well ventilated and doesn't even feel warm). I REALLY like the 600 series 3 from B&W, and I wanted to get the large bookshelves, matching center channel, and surrounds from B&W, but that puts me way over budget, or at least I think. I'm confused on the B&W pricing, the model I like is the DM602 S3, but I'm confused, is it $300 per speaker or per pair? So I was looking at Axiom, and it looks promising, but how would these compare to the B&W's? And I'm trying to look into Paradigm, but I can't find too much pricing information. Is a Paradigm system in my budget? Also, I have no real preference as to bookshelf or tower mains, but I do know that I'm considering an SVS sub, but $549 is a bit pricey. Can comparable bass be had for less? How about buying a raw driver, amp, and building a box? I'm having some tough times trying to figure this stuff out, any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
1. A big screen TV can be a wonderful thing. However, if you are in an upstairs apartment it can and will be a pain to move. Consider going with something smaller. Perhaps something in the neighborhood of a 32" or 36" one for $600 or so.

2. Speakers are another big expendature but especially the sub. What you need is dictated by your room size plus openings into other room. Total combined cubic footage. Unless you already have the tools to build one (tablesaw, jigsaw, router, clamps, etc.) either buy one premade or used. For pricing of speakers, unless it specifically states for a pair it is for each speaker.

Here is something you may consider (more along the lines of what I would do if I were in your shoes):
Toshiba 36A43 36" TV - $600 delivered from Best Buy. Granted not a big screen but should do well in an apartment. Better than a 27" though nowhere close to a 52".
Magnepan MMG W & C - $897 (unsure if it is delivered price). This is assuming you can wall mount them.
Rocket UFW-10 - $599 + shipping. Should keep up with the Magnepans for music plus still pack a punch for HT. Space saver too.
Yamaha HTR-5750 - $399 delivered. May be able to get it for less. Not as good as the 5760 but should be an improvement over the RX-V496 (a receiver I still own).

BryanZ

Screenwriter
1. A big screen TV can be a wonderful thing. However, if you are in an upstairs apartment it can and will be a pain to move. Consider going with something smaller. Perhaps something in the neighborhood of a 32" or 36" one for $600 or so.

2. Speakers are another big expendature but especially the sub. What you need is dictated by your room size plus openings into other room. Total combined cubic footage. Unless you already have the tools to build one (tablesaw, jigsaw, router, clamps, etc.) either buy one premade or used. For pricing of speakers, unless it specifically states for a pair it is for each speaker.

Here is something you may consider (more along the lines of what I would do if I were in your shoes):
Toshiba 36A43 36" TV - $600 delivered from Best Buy. Granted not a big screen but should do well in an apartment. Better than a 27" though nowhere close to a 52".
Magnepan MMG W & C - $897 (unsure if it is delivered price). This is assuming you can wall mount them.
Rocket UFW-10 - $599 + shipping. Should keep up with the Magnepans for music plus still pack a punch for HT. Space saver too.
Yamaha HTR-5750 - $399 delivered. May be able to get it for less. Not as good as the 5760 but should be an improvement over the RX-V496 (a receiver I still own).

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
A big screen TV may indeed be a poor choice for an upstairs apartment, but honestly I can't understand why you would recomend an anlog interlaced TV, and a curve screen at that. There are plenty of very, very nice widescreen HDTV in the 30-34" range for around $1000-1500 dollars, much better choices.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
A big screen TV may indeed be a poor choice for an upstairs apartment, but honestly I can't understand why you would recomend an anlog interlaced TV, and a curve screen at that. There are plenty of very, very nice widescreen HDTV in the 30-34" range for around $1000-1500 dollars, much better choices.

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Well we have a downstairs apartment, and plan on staying on the first floor if we move to another complex. In fact, we'll make it a requirement. I've thought of getting a smaller TV, but I just don't want a small set, I want a bigger set, and I want widescreen and HDTV compatibility. I'm pretty set on this.

As far as building a subwoofer enclosure, I have the tools and experience to do so, so that really wouldn't be a problem. The only problem may be that although I could build a decent box, I doubt I could make it look as "pretty" as a factory made box would look.

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
Well we have a downstairs apartment, and plan on staying on the first floor if we move to another complex. In fact, we'll make it a requirement. I've thought of getting a smaller TV, but I just don't want a small set, I want a bigger set, and I want widescreen and HDTV compatibility. I'm pretty set on this.

As far as building a subwoofer enclosure, I have the tools and experience to do so, so that really wouldn't be a problem. The only problem may be that although I could build a decent box, I doubt I could make it look as "pretty" as a factory made box would look.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
*cough*cough*Front Projection for $1000*cough*:D

Paradigm Atoms x 4 + cc170 = $567
SVS PCi25-31 $549
Onkyo TX-SR501 $299
Infocus X1 projector $990

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
*cough*cough*Front Projection for $1000*cough*:D

Paradigm Atoms x 4 + cc170 = $567
SVS PCi25-31 $549
Onkyo TX-SR501 $299
Infocus X1 projector $990

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
What are these Paradigm Atoms? Where can I find more information on them and where can I buy then for that price? And could you shed some light on the whole projector idea, I've never paid much attention to projectors.

Lee_L

Stunt Coordinator
What are these Paradigm Atoms? Where can I find more information on them and where can I buy then for that price? And could you shed some light on the whole projector idea, I've never paid much attention to projectors.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Sound World and All Star on the Beltway 8 west corridor. Go to the Paradigm website and use their dealer locator.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Sound World and All Star on the Beltway 8 west corridor. Go to the Paradigm website and use their dealer locator.

Wes Warren

Grip
actually saw the price on the X1 has gone down again. 750 i think. Best decision ive made with my HT. Could be tough in an apartment tho.

Wes Warren

Grip
actually saw the price on the X1 has gone down again. 750 i think. Best decision ive made with my HT. Could be tough in an apartment tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks