Need Help Selecting Low-end HT Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Greetings to all from a new member.

I am just getting into the home theatre experience and am slowly working my way through the muck. I am looking for a budget HT speaker package. I have heard good things about JBL's SCS150 package, as well as the JBL NSP1 group. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the two?

I was planning to pair the NSP1's with a cheap subwoofer, probably the Sony SA-WM40.
    As you can tell, I can only spend upwards of $400 or so...my wife won't allow any more.

Listening to music vs. watching movies is probably a 50/50 split in the amount of time I spend on each. I am planning on getting the Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver, although similarly priced Denon, Sony, and H/K are still in the running. I current having a Panasonic RV-32, a 36" JVC TV, a CD player, and a game cube to hook up to the receiver.

Does anyone have an opinion about either of the JBL speaker packages? Additionally, are there any other speaker packages in the same price range that would do the trick? I tend to shy away from exotic names that aren't available at BB, CC, or Sears since I take advantage of the 12 months no interest financing offers.

By the way, I am not an audiophile, I won't be listening to these things at obscene levels (wife is always telling me to turn it down), and my ears sometimes really can't pick up on the "sonic" differences many people seem to hear.

Thanks in advance.

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think the NSP1 doesnt have a match in his class, for $209 it can beat everything in its range, and paird with an SONY SA-WM 40 for $150, very good combination. I dont have anything against Yamaha, but I think DENON 1803 could be a better option.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

4. Ralph Bru

Ralph Bru Stunt Coordinator

I own the nsp-1's and they are very nice sounding. as stated already I looked around and they cant be beat for around $200 for all 5 speakers!

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I am hooking up the SCS150 package tonight to my new Pioneer VSX-D811S. I will then watch LOTR. I give you my newbie opinion then.

As of right now, I can just tell you that the 150's look pretty, haven't heard them outside of the store.

6. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

The cheapest place to get the sub is from sony themselves. Go to www.my.sony.com sign up and browse their newsletters. About 15-30 minutes of browing gets you the 2000 "points" you need to buy the SA-WM40 for $125 shipped!(tax added where applicable)
    Matthew

7. Bill_Wheeler

Bill_Wheeler Auditioning

Double Post... I'm such a noob ..... :b

8. Bill_Wheeler

Bill_Wheeler Auditioning

If your in Texas or Lousianna Conns Appliances is clearancing out the JBL NSP1 package for $197. They also have seperately the JBL N24 sold in pair clearanced at $97, the N-Center for $97 and a better deal the JBL N26 sold in pair clearanced at $97. I already got the NSP1 for $197 and strongly considering getting the pair N26s for $97. It is not listed on the website that I can see though... but if your out of state you might call and see if they would ship...
    What made me sick is I found out the local Best Buy in Beaumont, TX(outside of Houston) clearanced thier JBL NSP1 package for $120 back in April, they said all the employees got one (thoses so and sos). [​IMG]
    On everyone's (well almost) advice I'm getting the Pioneer 811s from etronics.com for $289, thanks for the help guys....
    Here's is what my system will look like in December 2002
    Panasonic Tau 32" HDTV
    Panasonic RP-56 DVD
    Pioneer 811S Reciever
    DCM Floor Standing Mains (so old I don't know the model#)
    JBL NSP1 Surround/Center (Maybe JBL N26 as Mains)
    Sony SA-WM40 Sub
    Dish Network 4300 Reciever (I think)
    Again thanks for all the advice...

9. mark alan

Bill,

Remember that etronics is not a authorized dealer, so your warranty may be voided. I just bought from goodguys.com (authorized online dealer) for $399, plus 10% off($369)plus free shipping. etronics does not have free shipping, so your only looking a $50-60 difference to make sure that you don't have any warranty issues

10. MatthewK

Unfortunately they will not ship. [​IMG]
    Anyone know of someplace else that has them on closeout that will / may ship to CA?
    Matthew

11. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I have bought a lot of stuff from etronics: car steros, JBL speakers, digital camaras, with no complains at all, the only thing that I dont like is that the shipping is expensive, but with the prices, something had to be a little over.

But I always check etronics first. Another place that you could check is J&R, is a very good shop with very good service and in some JBL products they have free shipping.

12. MatthewK

Unfortunately they are now out of the NSP1 (series 1) speakers as is JandR. [​IMG]
    That reason is why I was asking if others knew of good locations....
    Matthew

13. Ralph Bru

I bought mine off ebay last year for $220 shipped with a really nice surge protector.

14. Bill_Wheeler

Bill_Wheeler Auditioning

mark alan Wrote:

15. Ralph Bru

I buy so many electronics and gadgets its sickening. not once have I ever bought something and needed a warranty. maybe im lucky but i dont find it a big deal and worth the savings as the chances are pretty slim you ever use the warranty..... in my experience.

16. mark alan

Bill, I think that you are going to like the 811. I have been playing with it all weekend, after hooking it up Friday night. Other than the remote from hell, it is as good as everyone says.

I already want to get a 6th speaker for the rear surround. It amazing how quickly you get hooked on the surround sound experience.

17. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has the 811 for $299.

18. Bill_Wheeler

Bill_Wheeler Auditioning

Daniel,

I just checked the price and BestBuy.com has the Pioneer VSX-D811S on sale for $379(same price as CircuitCity.com). You might be thinking of the next model down, the VSX-D711, that retail price is $299, and it's on sale at BestBuy.com for $284.

If you got some inside info on the 811S being $299 though let me know so I can get goodguys.com to price match.

Thanks

19. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator