Need help selecting HD RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barrett, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Barrett

Barrett Auditioning

Hello all,
    I don't frequent this forum much -- spend a lot more time at the more general Home Theater Hardware forum -- but figured y'all would be the experts to help me answer my questions. I think I'm ready for a high-def-ready RPTV (or "HD monitor," or whatever they're calling them these days) for Christmas -- my 27" TV just isn't up to par with the audio half of my home theater anymore. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:
    * 4:3 aspect ratio -- I watch a lot of broadcast TV during the week, including lots of college & pro football and NBA basketball. I'm lucky to get to watch two DVD movies a week. There are as yet no HD broadcasters in my area (Albuquerque, NM). So, the majority of my viewing is of 4:3 material. (As 16:9 broadcasts become more common, I will likely upgrade to a widescreen set 4 or 5 years down the road.)
    * 50" to 55" (diagonal) screen size -- I sit 11 feet from the front wall (~9 feet from the TV screen), so 55" is probably the biggest I should try to squeeze into my room.
    * Street price in the $2000 - $2500 range.
    * Vertical compression mode for 16:9 enhanced ("anamorphic") DVDs.
    * Full aspect ratio control for 480p inputs -- when I upgrade to a progressive-scan DVD player, I want to be able to watch 4:3 and non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs in their correct geometry (i.e. vertical compression mode not activated).
    * 2 high-bandwidth (HD-ready) component video inputs -- one for an HD tuner, the other for a progressive-scan DVD player.
    * Internal line doubler with 2-3 pulldown for film-based programing would be nice -- if possible, I'd like to avoid having to spend another $800 for an outboard line doubler to get a decent picture (at least for the immediate future).
    * Full 1080i scanning withing a 16:9 window -- when HD programming becomes available, I don't want to have to sacrifice vertical resolution to watch widescreen programs.
    So, does anything meet all these criteria? Toshiba? Sony? Philips? Others? Best possible image quality is my ultimate criterion. I've tried looking up the current RPTVs on the manufacturers' websites, but most are pretty sketchy in the details of their products' features. If you guys/gals have done this research already -- or better yet, have personal experience with TVs meeting (or not meeting) all these criteria, I'd really appreciate your help! Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

At that price, I don't think there are any sets over 43" that can do 16X9 compression. Both the Sony and Toshiba 43" are over 2 grand.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Barret,
    The Sony KP53HS30 meets all your requirements and street prices are in the $2500 range. The newest generation Toshiba H71 and Hitachi UDX 4/3 HD-ready sets also fit your requirements, and can be had for around $2500 in 50-53 inch sizes.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

4. Barrett

Barrett Auditioning

Steve S.,
    Thanks -- the info I'd been able to find on the Sonys and Toshibas looked promising, but didn't answer all my questions. I hadn't been looking at Hitachi, but I'll go check 'em out. How would you rate them in terms of picture quality (specifically, line doublers, comb filters, and color accuracy) -- are they fairly equivalent? I can go to Ultimate Electronics and compare Sony and Hitachi, then go to Best Buy and compare Sony and Toshiba, so hopefully (if I can get some knowledgeable help at Best Buy) I'll be able to make some thorough comparisons of picture quality, useability, etc. before buying.
    If anyone else has any other recommendations or words of wisdom, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks again!

5. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator

See the below Files and Bookmarks for help.
    ------------------
    Jim
    If you're interested, or own, a Sony HDTV see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10 for >7,000 messages on making them better.

6. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Barrett,
    Any of the new 4:3 Toshibas will do the compression. There is a 50H71, 53H71, and 55H71. The 50H71 is at Best Buy for $1999.
    I prefer the Toshibas over the Sonys.