What's new

need help selecting an amp! (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I will be receiving my new (used);) Theta Casablanca 1 controller soon. I currently have a Parasound 2205 (220x5) amp which is not balanced. I have an svs sub which I have been powering with the parasound, I have paradigm studio 100s v2 studio cc v2 and adp surrounds v2. I was using my 49tx for a second zone for music paradigm reference sa 25 inwalls. ok so I need 8 channels of power I would like to consider a higher quality 3 channel balanced amp for the front three and use the parasound for the rest, or sell my parasound and buy a 7 channel balanced amp (maybe b&k ref amp) along with a sampson for the sub. what do ya think?

thanks guys, Bob

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to dent your wallet and please your ears, check out multi-channel balanced amps from Bryston, Classe, Krell, Cary, Theta, BAT, or Plinius. For less money try Anthem, B&K, or Rotel.

I like Bryston because they sound great, come with a 20 year warranty, and have excellent customer service.

MT

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Bob, long time no talk...

If you are going to go the three channel route, you have to worry about dealing with sonically matching characteristics of the two amps, plus the fact that you will have gain adjustments to make between the balanced amp and the unbalanced Parasound. Personally, I have not heard a Parasound amp, but know of it's warm texture and ability to mate well with Paradigm speakers.

What I would do if I were you would look to see if you can find a used three channel Aragon 8008x3 which has a balanced version and see if you are happy with how it integrates with your system. If you do not like the results, you can always sell it for what you paid for it.

Personally, I would sell the Parasound and look into getting a Sherbourn 7/2100 which has balanced connections into all 7 channels, monoblock design and all in one chassis. It also has a warmer character that should also mate well with Paradigms. But I would seek out a Sherbourn dealer first to make sure it's a good mate before jumping the gun. Sherbourn's are great value amps and awesome performers.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Hi Bob,

The differences in tone between amplifiers are really big enough to cause matching problems between speakers? Umm... I wouldn't let that sway you into spending more money. In fact, I would consider getting the highest quality amplification for the front two speakers only... and maybe the center as well.

Specific brand recommendations seem to be kind of a crapshoot, since there aren't many good, documented comparisons between multichannel amplifiers. I would consider what amount of power and connection options (true balanced input is definitely useful) you need, find a couple of amps fitting the budget, and decide from there.

Are you running the Studio 100s as "large" speakers?

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Evan, good to hear from you! thats good advice, I want to take my time with this move I think I will have the casablanca for some time. I would like to situate my amp needs in one move instead of moving them around and replacing them as time goes by. I might just buy a sampson amp to power my sub and use the parasound for the ht for now and look around for a while and demo.

thanks, Bob

ps I still havnt gone up north for speakers yet!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Are you running the Studio 100s as "large" speakers?
yes I was with the 49tx with the svs sub I prefered the sound better than set to small and I enjoyed the shear impact with movies. things might be different with casablanca though?

Bob

Yogi

Screenwriter
I would suggest mating the Paradigms with a warm laid back amp like Classe, B&K, Rotel. All of them make balanced (or pseudobalanced) amps.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If you're running them full range, consider at least 200 watts for the main speakers, then. (Though it seems you might get cleaner sound by using the small setting and increasing the subwoofer level to make up for the lack of impact.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks