Need help selecting a projector...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonJ, Nov 29, 2002.

1. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

I need some opinions, advice, suggestions where to buy, and to get an idea of how much this going to cost me. I want an HDTV projector to use in a dedicated home theater room. I want it to be able to do widescreen 16:9 and 4:3 (16:9 is the more important of the two to me to look spectacular). I would like atleast a 10 foot wide screen in widescreen mode. It will be used for DVD viewing, digital cable
    and/or satalite dish, and I will probably hook up a computer to it to do cool computer light shows, etc. I have _NO_ idea what I'm looking for so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated regarding what equipment to buy, where to buy it (I'm in the Philadelphia area btw), and a ball park range of how much a projector like this is going to set me back.

My room is 17' x 23' (the screen will go on the 17' wall). I'm guessing 10' will definitely be feasable (atleast I hope it will)? Any guestimates on how large I can make the screen if the room is 23' long? I could gee going to 12' and maybe even 15' if it's feasable. I should probably add that the projecter will be able to hang at a height of up to 8' and that this is a dedicated theater room not used for anything else. With some fancy work it may be able to hang a little higher if really need be. I was reccomended the *new* Sony VPL-HS10 and noticed it will go up to 25' and at only $3000 MSRP.

Thanks!

2. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Ron welcome.
    The Sony HS10 is one of the most talked about new projectors over onAvsforum. I ordered it over a month but it has not yet been delivered. It comes very highly recommended by the owners. I do not have a dedicated theater but the my loft where I will be using this projector is about the same sized as your room.
    I currently using a Proxima pj which has similar stats as the HS10 and it looks great.
    I do'nt think you will be disappointed with this pj.
    Michael patiently wait for his HS10
    [​IMG]

3. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

how big a screen do you have?

4. Michael Mathius

I'M projecting on a white wall that is a 108 inches horizontally. I also have a smaller 72" diy parkland screen.

5. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

Can you tell me how far back from your 108" screen your projector is mounted and how high from teh ground? Thanks.

6. Michael Mathius

Ron:
    The projector is 16.6' from the screen and sits on a filing cabinet that is 28" high. Once I get the HS10 it will be mounted in the ceiling about the same distance from the screen.

Michael.

7. Antwan

Antwan Auditioning

Michael, I was wondering how you compare the parkland screen to a bare white wall, and if the parkland is worth the trouble?

Thanks!

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What is the throw on the HS10 and can you project a 92" diagonal 16x9 from 12' away? Right now, I don't know too many people that have it.

9. Michael Mathius

Antwan:

to be prefectly honest I really can't see a difference between the two. The only difference is that my parkland screen is 72" and the wall is 108". So obviously I prefer the wall.