What's new

Need help - S-VHS VCR!! (1 Viewer)

John Hicks

Auditioning
Just wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions I have regarding S-VHS VCRs. I've recently purchased the Mitsubishi HSU776, but since I've heard rave reviews of some JVC models, I'm wondering if I should take the Mitsu back. Anyone have any opinions?
Also, I had some S-VHS questions in general, since I'm a bit unfamiliar with these terms. What is the benefit of the flying erase head, and what does it do? What is the difference between the standard digital comb filter and a "3-D" digital comb filter - is the difference great? Finally, what does "time base correction (TBC)" mean?
Thanks for the assistance!
John

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I can't help you with the technical stuff, but:
I had a JVC S-VHS VCR (4500?) and it worked great: for about 6 months, then tracking problems. I sent it to the factory service center 3 times before giving up in disgust.
Then I bought a Mitsu S-VHS VCR (can't remember the model right now) and it has been perfect so far (1 year +). I'll take reliablity over bells and whistles any day.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The flying erase head is for clean edit points on recordings. Any unit equiped with TBC (time-base-corection) will create crisper edges in the images. Mitsu's top unit last year had TBC. I forgot the model #. A 3-D comb filter is a motion adaptive filter. It should be better than a lesser digital comb filter.
If you look inside a Mitsu VCR it has the same deluxe plastic transport parts as JVC uses. The same thing could be said about all the brands! I wouldn't say any brand has much more build quality than another. Durability and reliability are not hallmarks of the VHS format.
That being said, I'd say the Mitsu and JVC S-decks are the best ones going, feature-wise. The JVC 9xxx models are a cut above the rest, performance-wise. Durability and reliability are a crap shoot with all VHS decks. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks