Need help running cables behind wall (LCD)

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Paul_Fisher, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some help here and would really like to hear some ideas. I just mounted a small LCD TV (17") in my office in the corner of the room about 6' up in the corner. The problem I have is that the wires hang straight down and look terrible. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can hide the wires and have them come out near the floor? The wall is just plain drywall with the TV mounted on a stud. The only wires I need hidden are the component cables from the satellite TV receiver and the power cord. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

A couple ideas:

1) WireGaurd (I think that's the name) -- it's sold at both Lowes and Home Depot. It's a pretty simple conduit that sticks to the wall and can be painted any color.

2) Drill two holes in the wall and fish the cables through. If you want this to look cleaner, use wall plates on both ends. If you use wall plates, I would suggest using BNC connectors for the cable inside the wall.

3. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

I used that wireguard stuff for some speaker cables in one room of my house and it is very easy to and paint. I have to say if you want an easy way to do it without cutting holes in the wall, that would be my pick.

Don

4. Andrew_Russell

Andrew_Russell Auditioning

I would definitely run the cables behind the wall.

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes you can run your video and audio cable in the wall. You know where one stud is. If you have a stud finder you can determine where the next stud is located in the wall. Your probably dealing with a 2x4 wall. The Studs should be 16" on Center apart, but in corners framing can be different. The cavity between should be a clean path behind the drywall from where the tv is mounted to the floor. The worst thing you could run into is the wall being insulated, making it a little more difficult to run the wires without the proper wall fishing tools, but with any luck the wall has no insulation (hopefully and interior wall). Then the Cavity should just be a straight shot down to the floor. There's several ways to "trim" out the holes you will need to cut into the drywall. A Retro Electrical Box or a Low Voltage Retro Ring can be installed behind the TV and then another at the Floor level to conceal the wiring. You may just want to buy some Blank Plates and Drill a 1" hole in both the top and bottom to run your cables through and make the install look good.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Thanks everyone for the replies!

7. Liquid Kaos

Liquid Kaos Extra