Need help replacing Bose Accoustimass!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_E, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Hey there,
    I'm looking to replace my existing Bose Accoustimess 7 system with better speakers with a powered sub. I'm not really an audiophile, though I do want some decent speakers to go with my HT. I'm upgrading my old pro logic receiver to something like a Kenwood VR-510 or Denon AVR-2802 and won't have much money left. Can you recommend a decent surround "package" that would have fronts, center, rear, and sub all together? It must be less than $1000, and ideally around $700, but don't know if that's realistic. (BTW, this is just our family room, not a dedicated home theater, so less-obtrusive (i.e., small wall-mounts) are probably preferred [​IMG] .
    Thanks in advance!!!
    -Richard

2. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

I don't know much about your receiver, but you might want to start looking into some of these packages. The usual caveat about listening to them applies. There's lots of nice stuff in the $700 - $1000 price range.
    All of these seem to be fairly well-recommended, and if you research these here and elsewhere on the internet, you'll find lots of other recomendations as well. A good place to read some reviews of these is www.cheaphometheater.com
    JBL NSP1 package plus Hsu or SVS sub. (or at the lower end, you could go with a JBL sub or the Sony 12" sub.)
    Edge Audio 5.1-8 package @ $999 including shipping (plus the cost of wall mounts)
    Home Theater Direct Level 3 combo "X" package @ 749 plus $64 for 2 pair wall mount brackets.
    Axiom Audio has three packages in your price range.
    -David

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the JBL + Hsu package would really embarrass most other stuff in the price range! Axiom also makes an excellent speaker. www.axiomaudio.com
    as David said, go with either the Hsu VTF-2 or the 12" Sony SA-WM40 that you can get for ~$150 at Best Buy.
    receiver-wise: if you are looking at either that Kenwood or the Denon 2802, i can safely say that the Denon is in a different class than that Kenwood. you will be much happier with the Denon than the 'inferior' (IMO) VR-510.
    good luck!

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

you could get some pretty good sound with that price range. You could get 4 paradigm atoms ($179 pair) and the cc170 center ($199) and the 12" Sony SA-WM40 (~$150) add four stands to that and you've got a pretty sweet ht setup, for about $800.

Nick L

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Just to go against the grain here, I'd go with the Adire Audio Rava for $400, wood nOrh 4.0 fronts (LCR) for $475, and HTD level ones for $40 to use as surrounds. Now all of those are not "less obtrusive" but they will look very nice and I think your wife/SO should approve of them.

6. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Thanks a lot for the insight guys. I'm learning quickly! [​IMG]
    Quick question: Is there a particular reason why you guys typically don't recommend a complete set of surround speakers from one vendor? For example, Klipsch Quintet Satellite 5 or Polk Audio RM6000 or RM 6200.
    Again, I'm just learning this stuff...
    thanks.

7. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Richard,
    You might also consider using your existing receiver to power a nice SVS sub. :) (although it might not fit the "less obtrusive" category.. it'll definitely fill the "satisfied" category!)
    Go here for more info. Give SVS the specs on your existing receiver and room dimensions to see if it'll do the job. (likely)

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Richard, most of the recommendations were from the same vendors! All the speakers need not only to be from the same vendor, but from the same line to produce a consistent and uniform soudfield (timbre matched). Anything alse is a compromise, most of the time for financial reasons. One exeption is the sub, which could be from anyone as long as its good.

--

Holadem

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Well...if you still want to go small and unobtrusive, I could build you 5 cubes and a sub that will beat B*** performance for your lower figure.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Another popular speaker that would be similar in design to the Bose but MUCH better sounding would be the Energy Take 5 or Energy 5.2 systems These are 5 speakers plus a sub and are usually sold as a set. They have garnered rave reviews since they have been out and are available in white or black so they will blend in nicely. While these offer great sound they do suffer somewhat from the law of physics in that a small driver simply can not produce a lot of mid bass so there is somewhat of a problem between where the small satalites fall off and where the sub kicks in. Now you can make the sub produce higher freq's to try and cover this gap but then the sub isn't producing what its designed for and they tend to be localized in stead of blending into the room. To solve this you are better off with a small bookshelf sized speaker since they typically use drivers around 6" in size which can extend down deep enough to cross over the sub nicely. There are a lot of really good bookshelf speakers available in all price points so you're best bet is to take a few of your favorite CD's and spend some time listening to them at a decent store...not Best buy etc where they aren't set out properly.

11. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have a 2802 with Klipsch speakers and it sounds really good. But listen to the klipsch before you buy them, most people either love em or hate em.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'd go with Hank's idea. A custom built system will definitely sound better than anything that Bose makes. AND, it'll be cheaper to boot. Did you know that those little Bose cubes have $2 drivers in them? If I could get away with that kind of mark-up I'd be rich too![​IMG]
    A decent 8" driver and a plate amp will easily best the Bose "subwoofer".
    Brian