Need help removing wax from speaker..pics.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewW, Oct 26, 2001.

  1. AndrewW

    AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2001
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    0
    My wife somehow let some candle wax runneth over, and it ran down the front of my right front speaker [​IMG]. Good question, why was she burning a candle on the speaker? Don't know...anyway, anyone know how to remove it? You can see where I tried to scrape it off, but it just spread it and made it worse. Is there an old wives trick to this?
    Here's the link so you can get the idea..click on home theater.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/adroozz/r...tos.yahoo.com/
     
  2. KyleS

    KyleS Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2000
    Messages:
    1,232
    Likes Received:
    0
    Andrew,
    Your in luck! [​IMG] hopefully all that the wax got on was the grille of the speaker and a little on the top (no cone/woofer), At least that is what it looks like. Take a brown paper bag like from the grocery store and a clothes iron. Put the brown paper bag over the wax and then slowly heat the iron. When the iron is warm put it on top of the paper bag and heat the wax up. The wax will soak into the brown paper bag and will come off of your grille. Just make sure that it doesnt get too hot and damage your grille at all. Should be just hot enough to start melting the wax. I know there are some other techniques but this is what I used when MY WIFE did this same thing to me [​IMG]
    Of course once you get the wax off of the speakers I would make sure to have a nice long chat with your wife about how candles are NEVER allowed near the electronics again [​IMG]
    I for one gave this little speech to my wife but in a nice way letting her know that there are better/more appropriate places that she can burn her candles then near our electronics that cost a lot of money. Best of luck let us know how it works out.
    KyleS
     
  3. Richard RogersBerry

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2000
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    If the grille is removeable; use a hairdyer from the backside. Lay the grille on something like a terry cloth towel and carefully use the hair dyer from the back.
    ------------------
    ----------------------
    Ric
    And the Book says, "We may be through with the past; but the past isn't through with us."-J.G.
     
  4. Sean Conklin

    Sean Conklin Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    1,720
    Likes Received:
    0
    Andrew, that sounds like good advice. And after my wife dripped candlewax down the front of my new Kenwood receiver, we had a little "Chat" and now candles are no longer allowed near the electronics, I mean not within 10 ft of anything electronic!!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
     
  5. AndrewW

    AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2001
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't think any of the stores here carry paper, so I guess I'll have to try the hair dryer. No, the wax didn't get on the speaker its self...looking at my left speaker..I see 2 (!) candles; they will be removed...maybe lost [​IMG]
    Thanks!!
     
  6. JohnnyG

    JohnnyG Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2000
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0
    I guess I'm a charter member of this 'club' too!
    If you can't find a paper bag, newspaper works great too. Will a hairdryer really melt wax?!
     
  7. David Werner

    David Werner Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 1997
    Messages:
    191
    Likes Received:
    0
    You may be able to freeze it by using a can of compressed air(like for dusting computer keyboards, etc.)holding the can upside while spraying then gently brushing off the wax from the grill. Don't know if it would work but I think I saw McGuyver try it [​IMG]
     
  8. AndrewW

    AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2001
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well it's gone!! Used a hair dryer and it worked great. You can still barely see where it was; kind of a dark shadow, but much better. Thanks.
     

Share This Page