Need help removing scratches on car

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Stainton, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I was looking at my hood under the bright light and noticed very light scratches. What is the best way to remove them?

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I had some scratches that were most of the way through the clear coat but not into the paint at all. I used 4 steps to remove them but you may need to skip the first step (mine were pretty bad, looked like someone took a key to them but just not as deep). I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound. This stuff is abrasive and does remove paint so you need to be careful with it. Think of using this as wet sanding between coats when doing a high-gloss finish, you dont want to remove the last layer, you just want to buff the surface with the abrasives. Then I used McGuires products. They have a three step set of bottles that are a cleaner, a polish and a liquid wax. You may be able to get buy with just these three and not the rubbing compound. Any way, either the cleaner or the polish is the most abrasive and then they step down to the wax which is not abrasive but a "cleaning" wax. NONE of these three products are as abrasive as the rubbing compound though and are all probably pretty safe to use for the unskilled. With some skill though, you can take care of some pretty bad scratches with rubbing compound but research method and technique. You treat each scratch seperately and dont apply rubbing compound to a whole body panel like you would with wax. So if you are talking more like swirl marks, I would skip that step.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Are they actual scratches that you can feel or just swirl marks? If you can't feel them, I would use the 3M Swirl remover. Otherwise, you'll have to use something more abrasive like Charles said.