What's new

Need Help Relocating to NOVA - Arlington/Alexandria? (1 Viewer)

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I may be moving to Arlington or Alexandria soon. I was actually born in Alexandria, and lived there for a few months as a baby. I grew up in suburban Maryland, so I am not a total stranger to the area. I have not spent time there as an adult, though.

I am trying to find information on places to live, places for rent, etc. Something that would really help is a good web site that lists properties for rent/sale. I know about the major apartment sites, rent.net, apartment***.com etc. I am disappointed with the Post's online classifieds. I have been to the MLS listings at Realtor.com. I am looking for something similar to what we have here in Houston - har.com. It lists pretty much every property (aside from corporate-owned apt complexes) for sale or lease that is associated with a realtor. Our newspaper has good classified, and the local weekly alternative paper is good too.

Is there an alternative weekly paper, or any other papers besides the Post and Times?

Also, is anyone up there familiar with the H.E.B. Central Market stores we have down here? Aside from the mild winters, Central Market is the only thing I think I would really miss if I moved up there.

Thanks!

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Leo,

Are you looking to buy or rent? Real estate prices have skyrocketed over the last couple of years. My small townhouse that I paid 142k for back in 12/99 now will sell for 200k and there is no end in site. If you are looking to buy I can get you a couple of agent phone numbers or if you are just renting I can try to dig up some other websites for you.

Jeff

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff.
Looking to rent at first. I have done a bit of research, and noticed the steep increase in home values in the area lately. Recession? What recession? :)
I am paying $1.30/sq ft to live in a nice part of Houston. Up there, I want to be within walking distance of the Metro. Hopefully there won't be too much sticker shock for me.
The websites that list the generic corporate-owned huge apartment complexes are helpful, but I am looking for classifieds/websites that list the private rentals. In an area with that many people, I know there has to be a bunch of stuff for rent, but I have not had much luck finding listings yet.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I will almost defintely enlist the help of an apt. locater/realtor to help me find something once I get there.
Thanks.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi Prince William County has been seeing good fortune and other statistics I keep hearing on the news. I personally love the area around Potomac Mills. It's definitely not as fancy as Springfield or Fairfax but it costs less and isn't as jampacked. It's the perfect mix imo.
As for distance, I commute every weekday to GMU in Fairfax and my father commutes to the Pentagon. If you need to take 95 in the morning a carpool is a neccessity, however rt-123 is a nice link to the Fairfax area from Woodbridge.
Woodbridge also has the cheapest gas in the region. :D

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'll second Scott's advice for Prince William. I grew up there and lived in Woodbridge for about 24 years. Been living in the Alexandria/Fairfax area since.

In the Alexandria area a nice 1 Bedroom apartment in a decent complex will cost you $1000-$1200 a month. Older apartment complexes will charge less. Before my wife and I bought our townhouse we were looking at 2 bedroom sized apartments in the area and we came across a few that charged $1400 a month! After we saw those prices we decided to buy.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread