Need help rebuilding a HT system WITHOUT Bose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Nov 13, 2001.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to the forum, only been a member for a few weeks now. I can honestly say that this is one of the greatest information exchanges I've ever seen!
    That said, here's my dilemma. About 3 years ago (when I was in high school) I got suckered into buying a Bose Acoustimass 6 system which I coupled with a Yamaha RXV595 DD receiver. I was always happy with the system, but after reading numerous posts on the forum, I realize that it's only because I've never heard anything better.
    Now I realize it's time to replace the system. I'm looking to rebuild the same 5.1 (maybe 6.1) setup I had before, but with obviously better equipment. I'm a college student currently, on a college budget, and so I'm willing to sacrifice immediacy for quality. I might even consider just getting fronts, sub, and receiver for now, and dealing with rear channels later.
    Everyone seems to have only good things to say about stuff from nOrh, PSB, Paradigm, Def Tech, Energy, SVS, and B&W, as well as numerous endorsements of Denon amps, but I'm wondering if you all could help me come up with some particular suggestions for a system I could save to build.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Justin

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

First, is there any particular reason you want to replace the receiver? You said it was a Dolby Digital receiver, right? The only thing you would gain with a new one is DTS and possibly 6.1. Focusing on the speakers, at least for now, should give you better results.
    I'm a very happy owner of nOrh and SVS. Both of these manufacturers share the goals of quality and accurate music reproduction, low pricing by selling direct to the customer, and excellent customer service before and after the sale.
    Right now nOrh has the wood version of the 4.0 on sale for $300 ($100 off!) and the wood 4.0 center channel for $225 ($50 off). You could put together a great budget system:
    1 pair wood 4.0s $300
    1 wood 4.0 center $225
    1 pair 3.0s $150
    1 SVS 25-31CS $369 plus shipping
    1 subwoofer amp - beg, borrow, steal one or buy the Parts Express 300-792 sub plate amp for $80 plus shipping.
    If you can't afford it all at once, buy the 4.0s now while they're on sale. Then add the rest as your budget permits.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

There are a lot of good options for upgrading your Bose speakers at a reasonable cost. One choice would be JBL's NPS1 package, based on their Northridge N-24 speakers.
    Whatever you decide, you can probably sell the Bose Acoustimas system on ebay and come out ahead on funds even after purchasing new speakers. The one good thing about Bose is that they have a great resale value. Lots of people buy them simply because of the brand name.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The better question is: How much do you have to work with now? Sell the Bose on Ebay. Put that money towards your new system. Count on recouping about 60% of what you originally paid for them. After you give us that information, then we should be able to help you on your way towards having an excellent system now!

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have found Def Tech and Yamaha to be a great match! For a college student, you should consider the Pro Monitors. If you have enough space and a larger budget, you should look at the PowerMonitors which have recently gotten rave reviews in S&V Mag and HT Mag. Down the road if you are looking at a HT/music setup and you have the space and the money, check out their bp series...fantastic! Keep in mind that you should be able to get some money off list price.
    www.definitivetech.com for more info.
    Good luck!

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, budget is required before recommendations can be made, as budget is relative [​IMG]
    My setup is Marantz/Paradigm and I am extremely pleased with it, and done with a budget in mind.
    I have a Marantz SR-6200, 4 Paradigm Titans a Paradigm CC-170 (insert sub of choice, I have a Yamaha YST-SW500). The 6200 has more than enough power. I listened to quite a few brands, including Denon, before settling on the Marantz. The Titans do an excellent job for the price.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

7. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting really excited about this!
    I'm looking to spend about $1000 or so on the new speakers. I did some research on Ebay, and I'm thinking about asking $400 for the old Acoustimass 6 set. Remaining $600 will come from a couple months of good, honest, off-campus work.
    Judging from the content of your responses, I think I'll postpone replacing the receiver until after I get the new speakers. When that time comes, I envision budgeting around $6-800 for that.
    Hope the additional information helps, and again let me reiterate how much I appreciate the responses thus far.
    Thanks again,
    Justin

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Okay. Given that info I'd say to take your time in building up your HT. IOW, buy the front three speakers together. Save up some more money, get the sub. Save up more money and then buy the surrounds. If you are unable to sell the Bose right away, use a pair of them for surrounds. Count on spending around $500 for the front three speakers. I like the nOrh suggestion. Then again, I own them. [​IMG] Actually, I've got ceramic 4.0s all around for my main HT. Currently I'm subbing the wood 5.1s in front in order to break them in faster.
    What you may want to do is, if you can afford this before Christmas, to buy a pair of wood nOrh 4.0s and 3.0s. That should run $450. It will give you surrounds and mains and you should be able to run a phantom center or, if the Bose are still around, you can use one of the 3.0s as the center and the Bose as the surrounds.
    Next, get the Adire Audio Rava. It should be an excellent sub that will go for $400.
    Finally, get a 4.0 center. Either wood, ceramic, or marble. Either one should suffice as long as it is shielded.
    Definately look around for speakers. You may come across a used pair that is too good of a deal to pass up. B&W, Def Tech, AV Reality , nOrh , ACI , Ascend Acoustics , Axiom , Swan Diva , and many others.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You can also always go "used". Especially if you're on a tight budget. You usually get better performance/price ratio then going new on lesser quality gear.
    Check ebay and the "Hardware for Trade/Sale" forum on this site.