Need help reading the specs on my AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken.L, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to determine what the lowest frequency my unit can produce. The rated power output in stereo is 40 Hz to 20 kHz. Frequency response for CD/DVD is 20 Hz-70 kHz.
    In surround mode, subwoofer is 80 Hz, 0.7% THD, one channel driven.
    The AVR is an entry level Kenwood without subwoofer pre-out.
    If I upgrade the passive sub to a powered sub rated for 26 Hz, what kind of difference will I experience? With the given specs, is it worth upgrading the sub? I've already upgraded all the other speaker and am very glad I did.
    Thanks in advance for your inputs.
    Ken

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I'm not the best to answer this but since no one else did I'll give it a go. The reason Kenwood only rates the receiver down to 40 hz is that deep bass takes allot of power. If they eliminate that deep base when rating the receiver, less power is consumed resulting in a more powerful rating, say 100 wpc instead of 85 or 90. Many really cheap receivers only state the rated power at 1 khz instead of 40-20,000. This is why most folks around here suggest you set your surrounds to "small" and let the powered sub handle the bass. Doing that makes it easier for the AVR to power the surrounds. As for upgrading the sub, I would think just about any powered sub would be a big improvement over your passive one. Follow the instructions with the sub for proper hook-up. And if anyone else disputes any of this, they are most likely right! Gene

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Most receivers do not have the power a sub requires, I would opt for either a powered sub or a separate amp for the passive sub.

Either way would be worth it.

Your receiver will play lower than 40Hz, but it will be rolled off, normally the response is not a brick wall.

4. John S

John S Producer

If it has a sub out / LFE line out, I'll bet is goes very low.

5. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gene, Mike and John for your input. You've convinced me. A powered sub should really rattle the windows even with the cheap avr that I have now. Since I've already upgraded the other five speakers, mind as well complete the job with a powered sub.