Need Help re: HT Wiring Rough-In

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CurtJ, Feb 5, 2006.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I am building a home and I am going to finish the basement. I would like build a dedicated home theater at a later date. What type of rough in will be needed for a room that will evenetually be a dedicated home theater. I would like to run the wire now. Also the room is right below our master bedroom. What is the best way to decrease the sound transmission through the ceiling (cost is an issue).

2. danDo

danDo Agent

When will you be doing the rough in? You can search these forums and find a lot of information on this subject. Last Thursday the DIY channel had 2.5 hours of home theatre programming on. The show on Building Walls, Floating a Floor, etc. will be on again March 8. It was a nice overall picture if someone was just starting out and wanted ideas of what to do. DIY LINK

You can also find all the same kind of information on this site and by looking through the theater galeries.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm revising the header for something more descriptive.

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

As for the wiring, I would recommend the following

Run speaker wire now, from the eventual speaker locations to the equipment rack location.

Run a large conduit from your projector location to the equipment rack location.

Run a conduit from your equipment rack to your home demark point for phone, CATV, etc.

As to soundproofing, soundproofing between levels is difficult. If you can afford it, the best thing to do is to make a room within a room. Build a second set of walls, and put a ceiling on top of them, that's not attached to the main ceiling/floor. If you can't afford that, Make sure and insultate between your joists, use as much drywall as you can, and use the green foam tape from www.soundproofing.org on the joists.