What's new

Need help putting a HT together for my Dad (1 Viewer)

Brian Berardi

Auditioning
Thanks to HTF, I am now the Family Expert in Home Theater.
Truth be know I know diddly squat compared to the rest of the members on this board.
I was in the market for a good sounding Home Theater "in-a box" for under $500.00 and had a few brands in mind. In reading reviews posted here and at the Circuit City web site I decided on the Onkyo HTS650. I Totally enjoy the system and enjoy showing it off to whoever wants to hear it. I have limited DVDs but I like to play the scene in MIB when Edger gets shot down in the space craft and crashes to the ground. With the Sub turned up of course.
Anyway,I played it for my Dad (65 years old)and it was like he was transformed into a kid again. Now every Sunday when he gets the newest ADs from, CC,BB, and the Wiz,I get a call, how about this system from KLH,Panasonic...etc.
I keep telling him to buy the Onkyo for $500.00 from CC but he set a limit of $350 for himself.

I recently came across an ADVENT AHT850 5.1 speaker set-up at BJ's, w a powered 8" 100w sub,for $129 and read some favorable reviews about a Pioneer VSX-D411 receiver for $175.00 (neg. no S-jack.)

Is this a good low end set up, or is there a better combo out there. I bought him a low end DVD player (no optical output) for X-mas, so one is not needed.
Please help me make DAD a kid again.
Thanks
Brian

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
You can probably find a decent low priced receiver, but it will be impossible to get anything but crap sounding speakers with a $350 budget. You need to convince Dad to up his budget.

I have never listened to any of the HT in a box systems, but I have read good things about your Onkyo. The Kenwood HTIB's always get good reviews. Both of these HTIB systems are low end but apparently decent sounding, but as you know these are well over $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks