What's new

Need help programming an RCA system (keeps defaulting to factory settings) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Laura Elvin
My mom just got an RCA RT2906 and every time she turns it on I have to go into SET UP and turn off the center speaker (because this is the only way I can get the rear speakers to have the main sound/voices). But when we power down, it goes back to center speaker ON. Neither the remote nor the receiver came with any detailed explanation on .... well, on much at all. The instructions are sub par, IMO. There are buttons on the remote and on the receiver that I can't figure out what they do (and they don't seem to have an effect when I press them). I'm sure there's a way to program the receiver to maintain CENTER OFF, but at this point it's a mystery. Any help is very appreciated.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The rear speakers in a surround system aren't DESIGNED to carry the voices. 5.1 and 7.1 channel soundtracks are programmed to send the dialogue primarly to the center channel and most of the rest of the sound to the two front speakers. The surrounds only there for atmosphere and special effects. That's how they work in the theater, and that's how they're intended to work in a home theater environment. (When is the last time you were in an actual theater and heard the dialogue coming from behind you while no sound came from the area of the screen?) So basically you're trying to force the system to do something it was never intended to do. Not surprising that it reverts to its normal settings on restart. May I ask WHY you are trying to use the rear speakers are main speakers? And NOT use the center as intended? Understand that this RCA unit is what is called a "Home Theater in a Box", an entry level system with very limited features, functionality and connection options. Here is what the RCA FAQ about this unit says in answer to the question "Why don't I get sound from my rear speakers?" Your product has two Surround Mode settings – 5.1 Surround, and STEREO. You can select your preferred Surround Mode by using the SURROUND button on your Remote Control. We recommend you pick 5.1 Surround Mode when viewing DVDs – since a DVD that contains 5.1 Dolby Digital content (most, but not all, do) will be faithfully reproduced across all the speakers. Note that if you use 5.1 Surround Mode while listening to CD’s or to other stereo content (through AUX input, for example), the sound will be played through all your speakers, giving a fuller sound, which you may prefer. If you select the STEREO mode, all content will be played through the front LEFT and RIGHT speakers and SUBWOOFER – not through the SURROUND and CENTER speakers. Note: a DVD encoded with 5.1 surround content won’t necessarily always have content playing to the surround channels – the audio is mixed by the movie producers to give the most realistic movie experience. Does this help? Regards, Joe

Real Name
Laura Elvin
Thanks for your reply, Joe. My mom didn't want the home theater experience. She merely wanted to have speakers close to her that had sound in them because she has a hard time hearing. You are correct in that she didn't know anything about home theater systems when she purchased this. My job was merely to try to make the best of it. I used the front L&R speakers to be used near her (in place of the rear speakers). We're okay with that. My only question is how to keep the settings from defaulting back every time the unit is powered down. I apologize if I've caused consternation to any purests.

Real Name
Laura Elvin
Joseph DeMartino said:
... May I ask WHY you are trying to use the rear speakers are main speakers? And NOT use the center as intended?...
Because the rear two speakers are the only ones with wire long enough to reach where my mom is sitting (which is where she wants the sound).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only thing I can think of is to follow the instructions on pg 17 of the manual to the letter by hitting the Setup button, select the Center Channel with the up/down buttons, then select No with the left/right buttons and repeating the sequence for the Surround Channels (which I'm sure you have already done but it's something we have to say anyway :) ) and after setting the Center Channel to No and the Surround Channels to No make sure to hit the Setup button again. Again, I'm sorry this ius so frustrating for you. It really shouldn't be this difficult. I'd design and engineer these things to work better myself but I'm too darn busy driving a delivery truck for a living! (Hey, I can't do everything myself, can I? :P ). Maybe we can help get this all sorted out for you someday.

Real Name
Laura Elvin
Gene, thanks so much! I never thought to hit the SET-UP button again afterward (and if it mentions that on page 17, I'm still not finding it, but that could just be me :) ). I'll try this for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks