Need Help! PRO620 w/ Yellow Patches

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Georg_K, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

Hi, I just bought a Pioneer Elite PRO620 RPTV, and am having a problem with picture colour. I'm hoping someone can help me. To start, the TV is awesome! Picture is excellent, except one problem. There are yellow patches that show up. They are not fixed to a point on the screen, so it isn't the screen or lens (I don't think). They show up on certain scenes as part of the colouration. Usually on skin, in brighter scenes. But, also, walls, rock, etc.

I have digital cable (I guess you could call it "digital") and a Sony DVD; both hooked up with S-video though a Sony ES reciever. It shows up with both sources, as well as with the RF output to the TV either via the cable box or even straight from the wall outlet. It shows up on various channels, both analog and digital source. But, not consistant with one channel or even one source. For example, on a given channel, it will show up on one show, not another. Conversely, James Bond "Diamonds are Forver" had it on one of the digital movie channels, but not another. Terminator 2 DVD it's not noticeable; on the Scorpion King DVD it is very noticeable.

Again, on bright scenes only. And it is on the scene itself, staying with the part of the face or whatever. I've done all the convergence adustments. It is much better, almost cured, with the TV on "Theater Ref" picture mode. But that is abit dark. And I know other Elite's don't need to be in that mode to not have the yellow. If I turn the tone way down, it helps, but the picture is too red.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what it is and what I can do? Certainly I will be contacting Pioneer about it and go that route. But I thought someone here might be able to help. If I can get this solved, I'll be very happy with my Elite. If not, I'll be disappointed, as it will always bother me. Thanks....

2. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

This is probably an issues with the s video input that the elite series are notorious for. Does this happen with your component hookups?

A lot of elite owners have this problem, unfortunately, to my knowledge. Do a search for pioneer elite s video and it'll probably bring up some results.

3. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

I haven't tried component, so don't know the result of that. But, I get the same result on composite, s-video and RF. I realize these are not the best, but a friend of mine has a PRO710 and there is no hint of the same yellow tinge. I am pretty much convinced it is a problem with the TV, but I have no idea what. I know my cable signal is not the best in my neighborhood, so I could accept that. But, when I see that same thing on DVD, I am concerned.

I will, however, try the DVD source with component and see what it looks like.

Thanks for the help.

4. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

Update; did some more troubleshooting. I found that, believe it or not, there is less yellow with the RF input than the S-video! Very obvious on a black & white cable source (TV show from the 60's). With S-video out of the cable box, yellow patcht tinge spread across the entire picture, with varying intensity. Using RF, none at all. On other shows, still some on RF, but not as much as S-video. Then, compared S-video to composite video. Composite is worse than S- in that more of an area will be yellowed. But because it isnot so patchy, actually doesn't look at "bad". Still an issue in my mind, however.

I will try component video from the DVD player, but that won't help cable much. It would seem ridiculous if I have to use the RF input at the end of the day, with such an expensive "high end" RPTV!

Please help!

5. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

TTT

6. Chris Strasz

7. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

Thanks, Chris. I'll check it out for sure. I'm not sure it's a straight forward s-video issue, though. I do see it on the other inputs too (RF, video, and composite) just not as bad.

Being new to RPTV (this is my firts one) I must admit I am struggling to understand what is "normal" and what is a "problem". The posts on this site help to put things in perspective, as there are lots of imperfections and indiosynchrocies to deal with. But, I guess I expected the Elite to be "perfect". Maybe too much to ask?

8. Chris Strasz

Georg, it's a shame considering pioneer's elite is one of the best. Just as an FYI - the s-video "issue" is not limited to just s-video, but is most prevalent on this one.

Almost every person who posted regarding this that I've seen discuss this, has mentioned that it's primarily S-video but also present with other connections so it looks like it's probably the same thing as what others have had problems with :/

9. Georg_K

Georg_K Auditioning

Definitely agree, Chris. I see it with all input types, but most prevelant with S-video. With one exception; Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Some scenes, S-video is worse than component; some S-video is very good (almost perfect) and component is more noticeable. This really makes me think it's the TV, not the source.

I have the local Pioneer service booked for tomorrow, so we will see what they say. I sure hope I can get this resolved, though, because otherwise, the picture is excellent.