What's new

Need Help! POLL--which TV--34 XBR or 51 Hitachi?? (1 Viewer)

Andy_A

Second Unit
Hi, I'm buying a TV very soon and I'm torn between the 34 inch Sony XBR 800 and the 51 inch Hitachi SWX 20B. Both are excellent sets. I'll be sitting about 9-12 feet away. I'm drawn to the clarity of the Sony, but the size of the larger Hitachi. If anyone can help me make up my mind here, it would be greatly appreciated. Let us also say that cost is not a factor, but it is still only between these two. Also, I'll be moving at least twice in the next 5 years, so the Sony tube set is attractive for the ease of movement as well. Thanks for the help.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, because I'm buying the Hitachi in a week, so I'm biased, I couldn't sit 10 feet away and enjoy a 34" set. I've been watching a 36" for years now, and 34" WS will not be a huge improvement. The picture would be a lot better, but when spending that much money I'd rather have a bigger TV.

I think every time you sat down to watch a movie you will be thinking, somewhere in the back of your mind, that you could be watching a 51" tv right now.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Or you could be sitting there watching your 51" TV saying "I wonder how much better this would look on the 34";)
I'm getting the XBR800 in about 4 months. Choosing the direct view for ease of movement, style and the fact I do a lot of gaming and don't want to worry as much about burn in.
I guess the decision will come down to your viewing habits (how much over the air stuff do you watch?, how much HDTV?, how many DVD's? etc.) and how big your room is.
Either way, you will be getting a great set, so don't worry about it so much. At least buy the set you with which you will have the least buyers regret, if that's possible in this hobby.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I would go with the 34" sony. personally i have always prefered the picture on direct views, and i play alot of video games, so the burn in issues is a big deal with me as well. the only way i would go with a RPTV myself is if it were planned ot be a tv for 80% or more dvd watching.

Andy_A

Second Unit
thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be viewing about 90% dvd and laserdisc. I'm moving to a new place soon and will now be about 12 feet away, so I'm actually now considering the 57 inch Hitachi. Thanks again for the responses.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
If your TV is going downstairs, or in a room with low light, I'd get the big one. If you're sitting that far from it, why not go huge? On DVD and LD it will look just as good as the 34", if you're in a darker room and seated properly in front of the set. It's a common misconception that direct-view TVs look better... they are brighter, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. On the other hand, if it's a room that gets a lot of light, you might want a direct-view (or a plasma!) if you'll be watching TV when the sun is up.

If you do go with the Hitachi, I'd recommend waiting for the new models. They have a 39-pt manual convergence option in the user menu, along with their "magic focus" light show thingy. A big improvement over the auto-convergence only featured in last year's Hitachis.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
At nine feet, I'd go with the direct-view for sure. I don't care for the RPTV picture at all. At twelve feet, though, I'd have to go with the bigger picture. For me, a DVD needs to subtend pretty close to 20 degrees of horizontal field of view to immerse me in the movie. Even a big 40" direct-view won't do that beyond about 9-10 feet, max.

OTOH, for satellite or analog cable, eight feet is too close for my 36" HD-ready set. The picture just looks swimmy and grainy. If I stand behind the sofa (call it 11 feet) it looks fine. So if you watch any of that sort of programming at all, make sure you don't get a 57" and then end up inside the blurry zone. I'm going to start keeping a comfortable folding chair in the room so I can move to the "back row" for watching Enterprise on satellite this fall.

David Cohen

Agent
If you do go with the Hitachi, I'd recommend waiting for the new models. They have a 39-pt manual convergence option in the user menu, along with their "magic focus" light show thingy. A big improvement over the auto-convergence only featured in last year's Hitachis.
The model mentioned is a new model (51 or 57SWX20B). The manual convergence is actuallt a 117 point tech grid. These sets are outstanding in almost every way.....go for the RPTV over the 34".

Peace.

Truong

Auditioning
I would go with the sony. Then when you
upgrade to plasma or dlp in the next several
years, move it into your bedroom.

Good luck

Andy_A

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I'll definitely go with hitachi's new line--probably the 57 swx20b. It looks to be outstanding with the new wide neck CRTs. It is probably the brightest rear pro I've seen..

Users who are viewing this thread