Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason_M, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, my name is Jason and i am new to this forum. I am just now getting into home theater and have tons of questions. Just as a little background for you guys I am 25, married, work fulltime at Circuit City as a car audio installer and attend community college fulltime online. My wife is obtaining her Masters this semester in Social Work at The University of Illinois. We are getting ready to purchase our first home this coming fall and I am already wanting to start planning out my home theater. We are not getting a huge home just something small, around 1800-2000 square feet. So the room it will be in will probably be a spare bedroom. I have no clue as to anything home theater related but I am willing to learn. I have some equipment that i will use at first until the funds come in to replace it. Here is what I have so far.

Hitachi Ultravision 53SBX59B Projection TV
    Onkyo TX-DS676 Receiver
    Onkyo DV-S353 DVD player
    Monster Cable HTS2500 Surge protector
    Infinity CC-2 Center Channel
    Infinity RS-2 Fronts and Rears
    Infinity BU-120 Subwoofer
    About 275 DVD's

We only use the surround sound to watch movies because all we have is regular cable for now. My TV isn't HDTV capable because it is a good 3 or 4 years old. So this is what i need to know:

1. Will I be able to do HD with DirectTV and what will I need?
    2. I want to do a projector, what kind should I look for?
    3. Can you do HD with a projector?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but like i said car audio is my bread and butter and I am just now getting into this and any help would be appreciated.

2. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

Here is a link to projectors i can get at work. Which ones would be best to use as a projector for media and not business presentations? What is the diff. between XGA and SVGA? Which would be better for a projector, LCD or DLP? Are there problems with projectors, like having to constantly change the bulbs? Thanks for any help guys?

the link is the 2 nd link in my sig