Need help placing NSP-1 Surround Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Sweeney, May 28, 2002.

1. Scott Sweeney

Scott Sweeney Auditioning

I need some help finding a good spot to place the surrounds on my newly acquired JBL NSP-1 speaker set. My goal is to find the best placement "soundwise" while at the same time limiting the presence of speaker wire. Since it's a rented apt, I won't be able to put the wires underneath the carpet. The best option I could come up with is presented in the picture(on each side of the aquarium). It gets the speakers behind the main chairs and allows me to keep the speaker wires up against the wall. Is this a good location or will I be suffering too much in the sound dept.? Thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Scott, I'd leave the surround left where it is and move the surround right to the opposite wall. It looks like there's a couple of windows(?) on that side. I'd put it right between those windows. IMHO if you put them where you have them in that drawing, the sound's gonna suck ANYWHERE you sit.[​IMG]
    I have JBL N24's as my surrounds. I have them hooked up with Monster Cable XP Navajo White speaker wire. The wire matches my navajo white walls [​IMG] plus it's paintable.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The orientation you show will give you absolutely no rear separation and will sound like one left speaker.

I'd agree with putting one on the opposite wall, or mounting both on the ceiling. Ceiling will give you the most flexibility, but wall mounting will give you more separation. I'd leave one where the RIGHT surround is shown, and move the other to the opposite wall, between the windows, as mentioned.

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Just my opinion but...
    If you put the speaker where the RIGHT surround is shown and put the other rear speaker on the opposite wall, the person sitting on the left-most chair will not be a happy camper. The sound from the surround left will be coming over their right shoulder, the surround right sound will be coming from their front right and the mains & center will be off somewhere to the left.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't see how that makes a difference, since in the LEFT position, the sound will be coming right over the listener's head, almost certainly defeating the other speaker. Surround should be diffused anyway, and not pointed directly at the listeners. Moving the chair or chairs on the left to be aligned to the TV would help minimize localization (it seems kind of close to the door anyway). Proper calibration will be important in this room.

How about to the right of the door, just left of the kitchen? Is there enough room to mount it there, above the door? That would allow them to be in line, behind all the listeners, and calibration should offset the distance.

6. Scott Sweeney

Scott Sweeney Auditioning

thanks for all your help....i'll be setting them up tonight so i am glad that i have some recomendations to go with....i didn't know they made white cables....it's too bad i already have a 50 ft spool of the reg stuff....
    my wife is pretty clumsy and i could just see her tripping all over the place with too many wires on the floor.... [​IMG]
    when will wireless speakers become the norm (if ever)?

7. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator