What's new

Need Help picking out a dvd player (1 Viewer)

Nick Jablome

Agent
Im looking for one in the 100-200 dollar range, and i need help choosing one isn't regarded as a player to stay away from. Granted, almost anything will probably be better then what i am using now to watch dvd's(which is a playstation 2). Here are somethings im looking for

-Progressive Scan
-3:2 Pull down if possible
-Good audio quality
-Good cd audio quality
-Good S-video output quality

im not looking for anything with DVI outputs, HDMI or dvd-audio, superaudio playback, mainly because i have no use for these. In the really near future im planning on upgrading from my tv set to a Projection screen hdtv, so DVI might be useful. The only player ive seen in the price range im looking for that has a DVI output is the Samsung one that does upscaling as well.

But please leave feedback on which you think is the best to get.

Desmond

Grip
I have that samsung dvd player, matter of fact jsut got it yesterday.The thing about it is it is very confusing to select DVI in it, and the remote control range is aweful. YOu have to be very close and point directly at it.

I do notice a differeance in quality from s-video to a dvi output.

Nick Jablome

Agent
I've come across this on right here

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

its a Sony DVP-NS575P, which features progressive scan,3-2 pull down, PCP (Precision Cinema Progressive) technology, and it's actually under 100. There is a model above it, but it does not feature the Precision Drive 3 System, which compensates for flaws and minor scratches in DVD discs.

Does anyone know of the quality of this dvd player?

John S

Senior HTF Member
The relatively new Zenith DVB-318 is all the rage these days. But really a best fit for those that want to use it with their 1080i input for widescreen movies.

I fear some of your requirements, seem to contradict?

I don't think you get Progressive scan out of svideo on any player. Your TV might provide it from that source though.

Nick Jablome

Agent
Yah i know about that, for now im using S-video, but like i said in the really near future im upgrading my TV, so i want to have a dvd player now that will already be able to kick some sort of ass.

The Zenith DVB-318 does sound really good, from the review i read on amazon.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I ordered one, and have the tracking numbers, it is on its way! I am very excited about the new player for my particular need.

I'm sure it outputs svideo as good as virtually any other player. It is a little weak at 480p from some accounts. But a big two humbs up on 1080i from all reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks