Need help picking out a DVD player - HK DVD22 my best option?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Chang, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to find a DVD player within a reasonable price range that has these features:

-prog scan
    -has no trouble with dvd-r
    -optical out and dts
    -pal support would be nice
    -great picture

So far, it looks like the Harmon Kardon DVD22 is a good choice. Anyone know how the picture quality is on these? Is there a better option in the $200 price range? Thanks for any help.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The new basic Denon DVD-1710 has an SRP of $179. Basic as basic can be, but with Burr Brown DACs, and some nice Denon stuff in it.

The 1910 which is only $269, adds Faroudja DCDi and DVI out. Sounds good to me.

Ecost also has 2200 refurbs for $289 from time to time (were about 35 in stock 48 hours ago, not sure if they're still there). SACD/DVDAudio/Silicon Image deinterlacer. Solid player. I had one before I upgraded to a 2900. The 2200 held up quite nicely against the 2900.

The H/K. I don't know. Nothing against H/K, but it is my strong belief that Denon makes the best bang for your buck DVD players on the market right now.

3. patrick korn

patrick korn Auditioning

I USE A H/K 30 DVD PLAYER AND IT,S WORKING GREAT.BUT THE BEST THING TO DO IS.GO TO THE STORE AND TRY DIFFERENT MODELS SUCH AS A DENON 1910 1710. H/K DVD 22 25 30 ETC[​IMG]

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Patrick, kill the caps.

5. Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus Stunt Coordinator

I'm a big H/K fan and absolutely love their receivers (I own one), but I would suggest going with something with DVI out as well and that Denon looks like my next purchase, because if you look at upgrading your HT anytime in the near future this will avert having to upgrade your DVD player again as I am having to do after the purchase of my Sony KP-57WS510 to take advantage of DVI....

6. Miles Buck

Miles Buck Auditioning

I'm also looking seriously at this player.. Circuit City seems to have the lowest prices on these units ($199), vs $249 most other places. The player features Wolfson DAC's for audio- I'm not familiar with this chip but it would appear it is a good chip (not unlike Burr-Brown)...? It also has (from what I can tell) a Pixel-by-pixel deinterlacer (Proprietary, i presume), along the likes of the DCDi chip found in higher priced players. I've checked one out at CC... I liked the build quality and the look of the player..Its quite classy... I might very well end up buying it. (I'm deciding between the HK and a Onkyo DV-CP702 - a 5-DVD changer for the same price)... I have been having difficulty finding anyone with a review of this player.

Miles

7. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion on the Denon 1910. It looks like it's going to be out the first week of September, so hopefully some reviews will start popping up soon. If it's as good as it looks on paper, I'll be all set.