What's new

Need help picking HDTV reciever (1 Viewer)

John Huff

Auditioning
I am planning on getting Direct TV and buying an Hdtv reciever.I can't decide between the Samsung SIR-TS160 or the Zenith HD-SAT520.I will be getting my local HD stations from an antenna,and I read that the Samsung didn't do this well.If anyone has had experience with these recievers or has another suggestion I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Samsung SIR-TS160 and it receives OTA HDTV just fine. I get all the local HD stations, and I don't have to switch anything on the receiver to go from DirecTV channels to OTA channels and vice versa.

The only thing to be aware of is that entering OTA HD channels by number on the TS160 remote uses a '-' key, so if you have a universal remote, you'll need to find a key to program the '-' key. I have the HTM MX500 and use the DIS key for that, which allows me to include OTA HD channels in my FAV list on the remote.

The ability to receive OTA HDTV with any receiver will vary by location, antennae used, etc.

Dean

SeanA

Second Unit
I just set up the Samsung SIR-T151 with my Sony 34" widescreen, and I have been able to pull in all the available OTA HD stations except for one (which I know puts out a weak signal) using an indoor antenna. Granted, the SIR-T151 is just an OTA receiver but I would have to say it definitely does the job with antenna reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks