Need Help Picking Cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaimeC, Nov 6, 2001.

1. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

I am currently looking at purchasing about $10k in a home theater system. I am curious as which cables I should use to get my money's worth. Good Guys has quoted me Monster cables for all my hook-ups. They quoted fiber optic cable @ $44.99 (sorry, but what is this for?), video cable @ $199.99, audio interconnect cable @ $59.99, subwoofer cable @69.99, speaker equipment cable (banana style plugs) @ $99.99, and speaker wire with clear insulation @ $149 for a 500 ft. spool, and last is DVD to TC cable or receiver cable @ $50.
    I am looking at spending about $758 total on Monster cables. Can anyone offer their expertise?
    My components are HDTV, Denon 4802 Receiver, Toshiba DST3000 SAT Receiver, Panasonic RP91K DVD, and probably Klipsch, Energy, or Def Tech speaker package.
    Thanks,
    JaimeC

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Jaime,
    Sounds like you have some very fine choices lined up for your new HT.
    I will not recommend you go with this cable or that cable.
    I would HIGHLY recommend you do at least a couple of weeks of exploring the SEARCH function in this forum, and in other forums, for cable choices.
    Your budget surely allows you to make a wide range of choices in terms of cables. Don't be afraid of ordering all your cable "outside" of you current equipment vendor (who is dyed in the wool Monster from what you are saying).
    Monster cables price markup through a distributor is grossly in their favor. You can do better in the "open" market.
    Start by linking on the Better Cable banner at this site. Price compare. Basically, GO SHOPPING. And do the search function so you can build a dbase of intelligent choices.
    Good Luck---- and don't overpay.
    BOK

3. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

Jaime,
    With the prices you're paying, you could do better than those Monster cables.
    Check out BetterCables.com or CatCables.com for DVD to TV component cables, CatCables also has a very good subwoofer cable.
    For interconnects, I think you should go with digital coaxial cables, again, the two companies mentioned above and Boldercable(s?).com have very good ones.
    If you're interested in analog interconnects for DVD-A or SACD, I think the IXOS offer good performance at a reasonable price.
    Banana plugs for $99.99!? How many are you buying? If you are getting less than 12, you can find very good 24k gold plated ones for under $60.
    How thick is the speaker wire? 12 gauge? 14 gauge?
    I like your DVD player and receiver. Def Tech makes fine speakers, too.
    Geoff

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jaimie,
    i use all Monster cables in my system but, any new cables i purchase will be from http://www.catcables.com
    - Chip
    ------------------

5. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,
    I would suggest that you check out www.catcables.com.
    This guy Doug makes these cables with his bare hands and the build quality is incredible.
    I too had monster cable for all of my equiptment, but recently I switched my cables to catcables (I just ordered some this past weekend and am very eager to try them out).
    The prices are very affordable IMHO. I got a 4m component cable for about $320.00 shipped, BUT, I ordered WBT rcas that cost about $140.00 extra so there you're looking at about $180.00 for 4m of monster killing video cable.
    I also ordered a digital coax cable and sub cable. I believe that when I get these that the results will be just as good as when I got the component cable.
    I use Kimber Kable 4vs speaker cable for my speakers (all of them). At $3.00/foot I could not be happier.
    Cables are an important part of an audio/video system (MY opinion).
    Do your self a favor and at least check out the website.
    Of cource I now have a box full of Monster cables if that's what you really want (kidding).
    I hope this helps, good luck,
    Josh

6. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I also wholeheartedly recommend catcables . Their quality is outstanding and their customer service is the best I've ever seen. I really can't say enough great things about the silvercats I bought from Doug.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

7. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

Thank you for all of your fine comments. I think i'm sold on catcables. i'll check out the website.
    JaimeC

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Here is my suggestions for a big savings and possibly IMO better value/performance.
    Component cables, digital coax and subwoofer IC: Rhinocables.com - Broadcast quality cables and connectors at a great price. Top quality sub and digital cable too. Read the specs.
    For analog audio IC, digital cable and subwoofer IC: Diycable.com (same digital cable and subwoofer cable as Rhinocable) They also make some great speaker cables
    I cannot recommend enough that you buy solid, industry standard, broadcast quality video cables. You save a lot and get the best possible performance and durability. Buy the best quality wire you can get. Solid conductors for video and try and avoid tinned copper for center conductors, stick with solid copper or silver.
    Some other options worth checking out: They all sell Belden/Canare cables.
    Wickedcables.com
    KustomKables.com
    Avcable.com
    Please no flames from the catcables crowd. I know he is a great guy :)

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jamie: There is a rule-of-thumb to budget about 10% of your equipment budget for cables & wires. This is to keep things in perspective.
    Your salesmans budget is a bit less than this, so it's a fair price.
    Getting everything from one source has a lot of advantages. If you just want everything to get hooked up, go for the package. (And if they are including hook-up service, then the package is even better.)
    We could save you a few bucks, but the cost would be your time/energy to hit different sites and get cables from a few different sources. It may not be worth your time.
    And Monster? Their cables are good. But the company has a very aggressive incentive program to get salespeople to push the product. This is why I dont usually recommend them.
    (But I do have 2 or 3 sets of their cables in my system.)
    So if you want specific, cable-by-cable advice, let us know.
    Here is some generic advice to take back to Good Guys:
    Speaker Wire - Make sure they sell you a spool of 12 ga wire, not 16 ga. This will probably bump the price up a bit.
    Bannana Plugs - Make sure these are the dual-bananas with the solid spacer bar and side-holes for wire. You will need 10 sets (5 for the speakers and 5 for behind the receiver). Do NOT let them sell you the Monster "Twist Crimp" plugs. Those things pull loose every few weeks.
    Good Luck.