What's new

Need help picking Axiom surrounds (1 Viewer)

Joe Rison

Auditioning
I recently upgraded to Axiom M22s and a VP150 for my front. Now I need to upgrade the surrounds. Side mounting is not an option as one side of the HT does not have a wall (its a counter shared with the kitchen). The listening position is about 3-4 feet from the back wall. Axiom has these quadpolar speakers (QS2, QS4, and QS8) which from my reading seem to work best mounted to the side wall at or slightly behind the listening position. Would these quads work well mounted to the rear wall? Or should I corner mount a pair of M3s or such?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Hey Joe,

Welcome to the HTF!

I am currently using a pair of M3s in the corner surround position and they sound great to me. Unfortunately, I can't comment on any of the "Q" series speakers as I have not heard them. However, I would agree with your statement that quadpolar speakers would sound best on the side walls.

I have a question for you...how do you like the VP150? Not many people on the HTF have one and I was curious to hear what you think of it. I am using a VP100 now...

Regards,

Ron

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
I have the QS-8's mounted high on the back wall, they work great, much better than the direct-firing speakers that I replaced.

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
the mids fire upwards and downwards, the tweeters fire off at the sides.

you would need to use the Axiom stands for the QS-8 since you shouldn't block the bottom driver.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Do any of you guys have the VP150? I'm still looking for someone who owns one to give me their impression of it.

Thanks!

Joe Rison

Auditioning
Ron:

I never heard the VP100, but had done a lot of reading on it and the 150. I'm mainly HT and wanted the best possible center so I splurged. I couldn't be happier. Even my wife commented on how easy it was to understand dialogue at very low levels.

I'm going to see what the feedback is like on the Axiom boards.

Thanks

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Joe,
Thanks for the feedback! I really wanted to hear from someone who actually owned the VP150 and experienced it first hand, not someone who's read what I've read, so I really appreciate your response. Come on bonus check...:D

Joe Rison

Auditioning
Ron:

If you already have the VP100, I guess you can't lose by auditioning the 150 for 30 days. I'm curious as to whether or not you'd notice much difference.

Joe

Al Moodie

Grip
Ron Reda

I've had the Axiom M22s / Q4s / and VP150 for about two weeks. I don't have a proper 5.1 set up yet ('am using

a ten year old Denon AVC3000 , Pro Logic and some hardly

worthwhile pseudo effects) until I get a new 2802 later

this week.

I have a Sony KP53HS20 RPTV - great TV with LOUSY speakers that mash or muffles dialogue. To break-in the Axioms while waiting for my receiver and sub I've been using the

VP150 as a mono speaker for the TV and I tell you, voices, especialy womens' are fantasticaly clear. To break-in the

Q4s I've mounted them at what will be their permanent position - 6ft up and 15ft apart on the back wall and

temporarily hooked to an old Denon 35 watt stereo receiver.

with low volume jazz from the 40 / 50s the sound is beautifully clear - might almost consider another pair for my "Railroad Room". Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting the complete setup up and running in the next week and do not anticipate any real dislikes in the Axioms.

PS: I bought at Factory Outlet prices (saved US$212)and the only blemish is a little 2 inch near circular sort of

unpolished area on the side of one of the M22s. It's really only visible when turned at an off angle to the direction

of the light source and worth the $212.

Again, I would think anyone would be happy with the VP150,

particularly for voice.

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
I also have the VP150 and its great! Voices are clear and lifelike.

I also bought the Factory Outlet speakers to save $$. I didn't find any blems on my M80's, the VP150 has an acceptable ding on the top, and the QS-8's also look flawless.

I"ve got

VP150

Mti80s

MTi22s for rears

SVS 20-39 sub/ Samson 700

Denon 3802

I've researched and demo'ed anything I could possibly get my hands on, and after hearing this setup, I was sold. I think the 150 is incredible. I took 22's over QS8's because my HT Room is pretty big and the timbre matched up so well using the 22's that I was blown away. The QS8's have a really nice enveloping effect, really nice, but my preference is clearly in favor of corner mounts.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all of the replies, Fellas! I haven't read one negative comment about the VP150, so it looks like I may just give it a shot once I come into some money.
Now the question is, do I keep my VP 100 for the rear center channel or sell it off and pick up two 150s (one real soon and one later on)??? Decisions, decisions...:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I definitely think you should use a vertically-aligned speaker for your center-rear. The only reason for using horizontally-aligned speakers for the front center is because it has to vie for space with your television set. It's a trade-off and will never sound as good as the exact same set of drivers in a vertical alignment.

I'd go with either a matching surround speaker or an M22 for your rear-surround, but definitely not a horizontally-aligned "center speaker" type model... unless, of course, you just happen to have a spare one lying about!

Real Name
Alex Bischoff
Ron,

Whether you choose a horizontally or vertically aligned rear-center, please post your impressions on how it turns out. As I'm also considering an Axiom upgrade, I'm interested in how this turns out.

-- Alex

Gregory S

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared the Axiom quadpolar surounds to Definitive Technology?

If so, what were the differences?

Thanks,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks